Respected Contributor

So, I've decided not to worry about my yard anymore - usually I am out weekly mowing my acre of land.  No one else in my neighborhood really takes care of their yard weekly - so now I'm thinking - what am I worried about?  So it's been 2 weeks since I mowed - yes, I have those tall things that shoot up from the clover all over my yard - is it bothering me?  Not really.  I'm deciding to blend in with my surroundings - taking life a little easier - kicking back and enjoying life instead of spending my life outside to please who? - only me.  Life's too short to stress keeping things looking perfect.  My mom, before she died, said she regretted spending so much time keeping the house spotless - said she should have been enjoying her life instead.  Yesterday would have been her 101st birthday - yesterday I decided I'm taking her advice. 

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Making changes in my life

Good for you!  I know I spend too much time doing stupid things that don't matter in the long run.  I need to get out more and expand my horizons a bit and get involved in some community activities.

Always remember that you are absolutely unique. Just like everyone else. Margaret Mead
Honored Contributor

@hoosieroriginal wrote:

So, I've decided not to worry about my yard anymore - usually I am out weekly mowing my acre of land.  No one else in my neighborhood really takes care of their yard weekly - so now I'm thinking - what am I worried about?  So it's been 2 weeks since I mowed - yes, I have those tall things that shoot up from the clover all over my yard - is it bothering me?  Not really.  I'm deciding to blend in with my surroundings - taking life a little easier - kicking back and enjoying life instead of spending my life outside to please who? - only me.  Life's too short to stress keeping things looking perfect.  My mom, before she died, said she regretted spending so much time keeping the house spotless - said she should have been enjoying her life instead.  Yesterday would have been her 101st birthday - yesterday I decided I'm taking her advice. 

I have about 3/4 of an acre and I quit obsessing also.   After my hubby died, I tried to keep up and it was ridiculous.   My job keeps me away from home at least 11 hours a day.  

I do go out there and chop down the tall stuff!   I can't stand to see those tall weeks.  But in my yard, if it's not cut, it gets over-run with Virginia creeper and all types of poison ivy, all of which I'm allergic to.    So I do have to go out there and do some tending, but not like I used to or certainly not like he did.

Honored Contributor

You could take it one step further and hire it out, then you can totally let go.  Congratulations on your new life.

Honored Contributor

@hoosieroriginal, about two weeks ago I told my husband he should just let 1/2 of our back yard grow.  He has a riding lawn mower so mostly I think he just likes riding around  on it.  

But I think you're right.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@hoosieroriginal ~ I think it's a good thing, taking your mom's advice, bet she's smiling about that too!  As far as cutting the grass, it gets done sooner or later...  🙆🏻 yay for you!  After a few years I hired a lawn service, which was one of the best investments I ever made.  

Respected Contributor

@qualitygal wrote:

@hoosieroriginal, about two weeks ago I told my husband he should just let 1/2 of our back yard grow.  He has a riding lawn mower so mostly I think he just likes riding around  on it.  

@qualitygal- my front yard has a huge side yard (not in front of the house) which has a ton of trees, which in the fall keep me busy all fall mowing/mulching/raking.  I'm thinking about letting that side yard go natural, let the leaves fall and let them mulch themselves all winter long.  Just keep the front of my house mowed and taken care of.   

Honored Contributor

@hoosieroriginal wrote:

@qualitygal wrote:

@qualitygal- my front yard has a huge side yard (not in front of the house) which has a ton of trees, which in the fall keep me busy all fall mowing/mulching/raking.  I'm thinking about letting that side yard go natural, let the leaves fall and let them mulch themselves all winter long.  Just keep the front of my house mowed and taken care of.   

Go for it. If it bothers you at some point, maybe you can get a young relative to help out.  They need some $$ I'll  bet.

Super Contributor

@hoosieroriginal wrote:

@qualitygal wrote:

Time to invest in a gardener Smiley Happy

Occasional Contributor

Good for you!!!  I started paying less and less attention to my house, inside and out, a couple of years ago.  And, things are just fine, and I'm happier!!!