Respected Contributor

Maintenance people who come in your home w/o a mask

Yesterday the A/C went out in my home due to a bad breaker.  The A/C man came into the house without a mask as the breaker is located in laundry room.  I did not realize he would be inside that much.  My husband goes into a small enclosed 3 by 8 laundry room and they talked about the breaker etc.  face to face for a while.  I was so angry because if my husband takes chances with his life so be it but he is endangering mine to.  We are old with lung problems.  If we both get sick there will be no one to take care of our three little dogs.  The A/C guy has to come back so I requested that they send someone willing to wear a mask indoors.  Now my husband is mad at me because I fussed at him about it.  So from now on anytime I call a person to do any work that would require them to come inside I will request ahead that the person wears a mask.   Just blowing off steam....

Honored Contributor

Re: Maintenance people who come in your home w/o a mask

Get some men's size hankerchiefs and have some on hand, then have or ask them to put it on when they come in.  If their company doesn't supply them, you can have some on hand.  Or also...that person might have it, chose not to wear it.  Check with his company.  They can remind him he needs to still be wearing them (esp. in your case.)

Trusted Contributor

You have a right to request whomever you want in your house wearing a mask. If hubby gets mad, too bad, he'll get glad again. If he can't understand that you're in a vulnerable group, as am I, let him sulk about it. You're right, 110%.

Esteemed Contributor

Unfortunately, I had to have someone inside the home recently.  I asked them to put on a mask.  They had forgotten it in the car.   I totally understand your concern.  

Honored Contributor

@chicletThe A/C worker should have arrived at your door masked.  

But - we really have no one who cares more about our health than we do ourselves.  I believe I'd be more upset with my DH's lapse than with that worker's.  I'll assume he just fell into the normal pattern of his long life and really didn't realize the potential danger and I do hope he's going to support your insistence to the A/C company that they require their workers either to wear a mask or at least to stop at the door and ask if the client wants him to be masked.  I would!

Trusted Contributor

I purchased a box of masks from Q, so if anyone comes in the house without one, I can hand them one of those. 

F/N/A luvstogarden
Honored Contributor

I would think out of courtesy a mask should be worn by all repair people who enter our homes..I would put one on while they were there too.I would also open windows and doors to air out the house after they left and sanitize any surfaces they touched. 

Super Contributor

I'm glad someone brought this up.  It just happened to me also.  I did request upfront that the men coming in my house wore a mask but they showed up without them.  I offered them masks I had on hand.  One put it on, walked in the house, and immediately said, "I can't wear this and work".  He walked out the front door and got on his cell phone, which I took to mean that he was calling his office and was going to cancel our service appointment.  I really needed them there so I told them to forget the masks and just do their work.  I stayed away from them as much as possible but they seemed annoyed the whole time they were at my house and it was just a very unpleasant situation.  I considered calling their office and lodging a complaint but decided against it.  They did work hard and did a good job.  So far there hasn't been any repercussions from the situation.  I guess I just have to reconcile myself to the "mask" -- "no mask" mindset that divide the population and make a few compromises along the way.  But I was relieved when they left.

Man plans. God laughs.
Respected Contributor

It is also a smart thing for businesses to do, for everyone who has to come in contact with others. There's a big article today in a national newspaper saying all the things that we have done, stay at home, masks, etc. have really paid off significantly.  

Smart businesses know they can't afford to lose their employees. Everybody has a handkerchief.

Honored Contributor

@caroln242 @I find that so very inconsiderate of the workers.they could wear the mask for the time they were in your home and nor wear one on their own time.Its like wearing a uniform for work or other safety equipment that a job requires.