Respected Contributor

Mail problem--anyone have this happen?

I received an order--well partial order---from Amazon yesterday and stamped on the pkg was the message  "received unsealed".  I opened pkg to find most of my order missing!  I contacted Amazon CS to make sure my order was all shipped in one pkg and yes it was. Obviously someone somewhere opened my pkg and took my stuff!  I shouldn't be surprised as it was shipped UPS Mail Innovations and have had lot of probs with them in the past.  What does one do in this case? What recourse do I have if someone outright opens and steals stuff from my pkg?  And yes, Amazon already refunded me for the missing items, but I find it disturbing that people in mailing system (or whoever it is) can get away with doing this.

Honored Contributor

Re: Mail problem--anyone have this happen?

Your recourse is that Amazon fixed it for you.   

If you still want to do something, report it to USPS and UPS on their websites.

Honored Contributor

@KKJ   I would contact both UPS and USPS to file reports and get it on record that the items were missing. Don't be so quick to accuse USPS.  At this point you really do not know where the stuff was taken  or fell  out.  Who stamped the package received unsealed?  It happened before that.  If UPS did then USPS isn't responsible.  Definitely get reports filed though.

Respected Contributor

You're right. I don't know when and where it happened. Am going to my PO today and ask about if I sould file report or what. Thanks for your thoughts on this!

Honored Contributor

I agree with @Pook .

I would take the package and contents exactly as you received them to the post office and ask to speak to the postmaster.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@KKJ 

I kinda disagree...you will be wasting a trip and your time during which you don't need to be exposed to other people.

Your PO will NOT care.  They will write up a form and tell you they will investigate...of which there will be NO resolution.

Don't put yourself through that.  Stay away from a useless trip exposing yourself at a time when it really isn't prudent to do so.

File a complaint online.  It will go just as far as standing in line as the PO will.  The clerk can't resolve it and honestly, could care less.

Super Contributor

Years ago I returned a handbag to QVC. I just dropped it off at the Post Office, with the return label on it, just like I always did. Days later I realized that I hadn't gotten an email from QVC saying it was on it's way back to them.  I called the Post Office and the person on the phone said "I guess that someone wanted whatever was in your package." That was it!! Since then I have never just dropped a package off - I always bring it to the counter and get a receipt.  You just can't trust people.

Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

Don't automatically assume that a person opened your box and stole your stuff.

Packages ride numerous conveyor belts, and go through many machines, that it could've gotten caught on something, and been opened that way. Also, sometimes tape doesn't always stay stuck down.

Besides, there are cameras all over the place inside of the buildings where mail and packages go to. The packages move on the belts/rollers at a fast pace.

Most likely no person opened your box. It could've had tape that became unstuck, or as I said, the box could've got snagged on something, and opened that way, and the contents fell out.

The Sky looks different when you have someone you love up there.
Honored Contributor

Not with packages but I have gotten mangled mail in a plastic bag from them saying it was damaged in transit.

Honored Contributor

I've gotten messages like that before, and when the package arrived they often looked rather mangled.  In fact, I just got one that has been delayed yesterday that looked like the box had been retaped.

But they always have had the entire contents inside and intact.