Esteemed Contributor

Re: Made it through another Mothers day

Sorry to those who had a difficult day.  I was home with DH and he made me my usual crepes for MD breakfast.  My kids both called with wishes and that's enough for me.  I tell them always "no gifts" as everything is so expensive and I certainly do not need anything!   I really don't feel these days are anything special, not celebrated like they once were.  It doesn't bother me at all really.  I also did think of my mom yesterday who has been gone 10 years now.  I don't get teary though, I can smile about the memories.

At some point that does need to happen as life does go on.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@LindaSal wrote:

Sorry to those who had a difficult day.  I was home with DH and he made me my usual crepes for MD breakfast.  My kids both called with wishes and that's enough for me.  I tell them always "no gifts" as everything is so expensive and I certainly do not need anything!   I really don't feel these days are anything special, not celebrated like they once were.  It doesn't bother me at all really.  I also did think of my mom yesterday who has been gone 10 years now.  I don't get teary though, I can smile about the memories.

At some point that does need to happen as life does go on.

@LindaSal   To me, it's become just a Hallmark and retailer's holiday. 

Although I did receive a card, text and a FaceTime from my kids later in the day, they have their own busy lives and although I know they love me, loved, not sure "kids" are as attached to what is family. 

When I was growing up, I felt more responsibility to be "present" for family birthdays, holidays, whatever. I sceduled it in to be at the table, send cards, etc. 

I would have thought so many losses over the last 2 yrs. would have shaken kids up enough to appreciate the family they still had, but instead, I feel they became more "me first" because life was so uncertain. 

DH threw some steaks on the grill, twice baked potatoes and a big salad, a glass of wine   ...cards from him and even one from Molly. We finished watching "INVENTING ANNA" on Netflix (a must see) and by then it was bedtime. Just another Sunday. 

***Low expectations and no disappointments. 

Respected Contributor

Ladies, thank you for sharing your hearts. I knew I could come here for that. Big hugs to all of you. 

Harmonize the World
Valued Contributor

To @fairydogmother and All ~ ~  🥰 💐

I lost my Beloved Mother in 2006 and I miss her every minute of every day. 

Esteemed Contributor

@fairydogmother wrote:
My own mom has been gone since 2008. My last Mother’s Day with my deceased son was in 2013. I’m blessed that my other child is alive and well. She messaged me a greeting from her home in Thailand. ❤️ So knowing from experience that this particular day is bittersweet, I was prepared. I didn’t go to church because I knew it would be all about Mother’s Day, and I purposely stayed off Facebook for the same reason. I read a book and did housework and watched the NHL playoffs. Knowing my triggers and planning in advance helps me get through certain difficult dates.

@fairydogmother  You are very wise.........Blessings.

Respected Contributor

Mother's Day is just another Sunday for me.  I don't get too excided about it.  My mother died in 1980 and I've been without her longer than when I had her.  When my teenagers were rebellious they ignored me.  Two of the three have come around and seen their ways.  The oldest is very helpful to me when needed.  Saturday night she spend a couple of hours with me in the ER because I developed a hugh cellulitis on my leg.  Had lots of blood tests, xrays, ultrasound of veins, etc.  So on MD I spent the day in bed and she got to spend time with her kids.

DS self estranged himself years ago for whatever reason.  I let him be.  A couple of months ago he reconnected and apologized for being a jerk.  He understands now and is not the same person he used to be.  He sent me a MD present, and even invited me to come visit him out of State.  

So, all is well.  I just wished it didn't have to wait so many years.  Times a wastin'.

Super Contributor

I lost my mom in 89.  I have twin boys who just turned 40.  One son and his family have the virus of the past two years and we live nearby.  The other, as he knows we see a lot of nearby son, didn't want to expose himself as he has some health issues and is on a biologic.  All that is okay with me, mother's day is just another day.  My son who lives close but has the virus, his wife came by and called me as she left and told me to look on my porch.  She left a lovely bouquet of flowers, a gift certificate for a mani/pedi and the most precious gift of all, hand painted rocks by my 5 and 7 year old grandsons.  Those I will treasure forever.

I invited a friend over for dinner, she lost her husband a couple of months ago, lost her son when he was 15 and her daughter lives in Florida.  It felt good cooking and doing something nice for someone else on Mother's day.

As I read this, I notice my writing is very dry.  I had a stroke 20 years ago and I can tell my good days and bad through my posts.  Anyone else notice?  meh....

Trusted Contributor

I didn't hear from anyone but then I didn't expect to. I still had a good day. My Mother is here at almost 96 years of age, so I concentrated on her. Besides, I have my Frenchie, so I was happy.......Woman Very Happy

Respected Contributor

@fairydogmother Happy belated Mothers Day to you!  I lost my momma Jan 30 of 2016 and I miss her everyday.  She was my biggest cheerleader & also my biggest critic.  I got up yesterday and prayed God would give my momma a kiss on the cheek and tell her it was from me and that I miss her and love her.  The brokeness of that loss will always linger but I feel GOD took her because she could not get any better and HE would not allow her to stay here in the pain that she endured .  

Respected Contributor

My mother passed away at 63 in 1990. We all miss her.

I have three daughters and two sons and I saw all of them on Mother's Day. One grandson also came for a visit.

This week is also my birthday, so they brought me the cards, flowers and gifts. I give all my daughters a little gift for Mother's

Day. Tomorrow my youngest daughter is taking me out for lunch.