Respected Contributor

Went to jury duty.  Took me almost 2 hours to get there via Marta.  Checked in at 8 a.m. like I was supposed to.  Sat there for 25 minutes and was told we can take a 20 minute break.  Then watched a video and then a man came out and called 18 names, I was one of them, number 18.  We filed down to the jury room.  The judge gave instructions and the 2 attorneys asked questions of every potential juror.  By the time they got to me, I had only 2 questions to answer.  By the end of the line it seemed they just wanted to wrap things up.  Out of 18, 6 were picked and thankfully it wasn't me.  They did ask about hardship and many, if not just about all, raised their hands in the beginning.  But then the judge explained further that this was a 1 day trial and would not go into further days.  Only 1 was dismissed.  Even a woman who had to be out of her apartment by early this afternoon was not excused.  I'm glad to get if over with.  Thanks for all your help and input.  It was greatly appreciated.

Honored Contributor

@ScrapHappy.  Thank you for coming back to update us, and thank those who tried to help.  So many people do neither.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@ScrapHappy@So what was your final strategy?Crazy outfit,weird makeup or did you just go and take your chances?

Respected Contributor

I really didn't do much or say much.  Like I said, by the time they got to me to ask questions, I was the last one, number 18.  I got asked only 2 questions and they did not elaborate on any of my answers.  Only 6 jurors were picked, out of them I know one was a orthopedic doctor, a man who did say he had a DUI 20 years ago, a lawyer, and I'm not sure of the others.  It was a DUI case. 

Honored Contributor

@ScrapHappy

glad to hear you went and did what you had to do without using any excuse or trying to get out of it.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Respected Contributor

Re: MY JURY DUTY UPDATE

[ Edited ]

I served on a local murder trial almost 30 years ago. 

It was very interesting, let me tell ya. And very discouraging when we, the jurors, found out there was some key info omitted that we’d love to have been given before deliberation. 

I’ve never been called again for county common pleas court. Was called once for federal court but as soon as I told them of my prior experience they told me I was excused. 

Honored Contributor

@Kalli wrote:

I served on a local murder trial almost 30 years ago. 

It was very interesting, let me tell ya. And very discouraging when we, the jurors, found out there was some key info omitted that we’d love to have been given before deliberation. 

I’ve never been called again for county common pleas court. Was called once for federal court but as soon as I told them of my prior experience they told me I was excused. 

Many years ago my Mom was a juror on a murder trial. She was sequestered for over 2 weeks.  And she had the same experence as you. Key information was withheld from the jury. And the jury did not feel like there was enough evidence so the guy was freed. Then after everyone was set free, the jury found out that the murder victim was set up and murdered by the guy on trial.

My Mom never was called for jury duty again.