Honored Contributor

My most uncomfortable MRI was one of my ankle and foot. I had to stand beside the table with my knee bent so I was kneeling on the table with that knee and my foot was inside the machine - easy right? Wrong - that table moves as it scans over the body part being scanned so I was constantly trying desparately not to fall while the tech yelled at me to hold still. It would have been much simpler to just let me lie down with my foot in the machine - I could have bent the other leg , instead of having to hop beside the machine.

Honored Contributor

@AnikaBrodie wrote:

@RetRN wrote:

@151949 wrote:

I have had several head MRI scans but have never had any issues with my hearing. I've been having them since 1991,& I don't think they gave you the earplugs back then.

If you want to really be claustrophic get a bone scan. that scanner is an inch from you and you can't move a muscle for a very long time. I'd rather have an MRI any day - they are over quickly.

Over quickly? Your posts never cease to amaze me. I thought you were in great health, rarely needing health care. I never quite know what to believe when I read your posts.

@151949   @RetRN

Over quickly?  I don't think so.  DH has had many MRIs in the past several years and none have been over quickly.  He also has not been allowed to move while in the MRI tube.  His MRIs have all been a minimum of two hours.  I don't call that quick, especially when you have to be completely still the whole time. 

Many people say they keep their eyes closed the entire time.  I wonder why the technicians don't offer blindfolds to the patients who may want them.  @RetRN, do you know anything about this?

Totally depends on what part of the body they're imaging, AND whether contrast is used, as to how long an MRI takes. I'd consider 2 hrs at the upper end of time, with contrast. Not every patient needs contrast injected.  I've had my lumbar & thoracic spine done without contrast and it took 30-35 minutes. I had an abdominal & pelvic with contrast and it took close to an hour.

I'd think a blindfold would make many people feel more claustrophobic.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor

I had an MRI done earlier today on my foot.  It took just 15 minutes.  I've had others done that were closer to 90 minutes.

Respected Contributor

@noodleann wrote:

I've always found MRIs more annoying than anything else. They're not painful, so that's a huge issue off the table.

I keep my eyes closed from before being put in the tube until they roll me out to avoid a panic attack. No headphones; sometimes I've found myself falling asleep, which makes no sense, given all that  hammering.

Have had multiple brain and spine MRIs, all in closed tubes, but the most unpleasant was the most recent, a leg MRI in an open tube. It was unpleasant because I had to hold a very uncomfortable position for nearly 45 minutes, my arms had to be held in a certain way and they fell asleep and hurt, and I didn't get to bundle my feet up, so they were singing pins and needles, too. The great thing was it gave me a clean bill of health for the osteomyelitis I'd been battling for nearly a year.

I will no longer get the contrast injections for any further head/spine MRIs b/c of what I've read recently about the substance they usually use on me. Not going to go into it here, but definitely recommend researching it before allowing the injection.

Last item, check to make sure the MRI is covered by insurance, and check on the copay. 

@Hi @noodleann. I have always emphasized researching every drug that is prescribed for "you" because doctors do not always remember or even look up your medical history. You are your best health advocate.

The same applies to contrast injections -- chemicals that are going into your body. My last MRI a number of years ago required contrast and after researching (gadolinium, specifically), I decided the benefit was not worth the risk. Ultimately, after more research, I came across a fairly new fast spin technology MRI at a major medical center that was ultra-sensitive and didn't require contrast. Results of my test were negative.

IMO, it always pays to research.

And for those who say they wished they had known what to expect, there are always the options of asking your prescribing doctor about a procedure or googling. I have found on-line information regarding tests to be very accurate and helpful in preparing a person for a test.

Honored Contributor

I had to have 2 MRI's within a year.  Honestly, they didn't bother me at all.  For me it was a matter of not getting myself all worked up.  When I got on the table, they put headphones on me with music and as soon as they started to move me in the tube, I closed my eyes and never opened them again until they started to move me out of the tube.  I concentrated on the music and let my mind wander to happy places and thoughts.  

However, I understand that some have a severe problem and if that were the case, I'd take meds to help me relax. 

Honored Contributor

@AnikaBrodie wrote:

@RetRN wrote:

@151949 wrote:

I have had several head MRI scans but have never had any issues with my hearing. I've been having them since 1991,& I don't think they gave you the earplugs back then.

If you want to really be claustrophic get a bone scan. that scanner is an inch from you and you can't move a muscle for a very long time. I'd rather have an MRI any day - they are over quickly.

Over quickly? Your posts never cease to amaze me. I thought you were in great health, rarely needing health care. I never quite know what to believe when I read your posts.

@151949   @RetRN

Over quickly?  I don't think so.  DH has had many MRIs in the past several years and none have been over quickly.  He also has not been allowed to move while in the MRI tube.  His MRIs have all been a minimum of two hours.  I don't call that quick, especially when you have to be completely still the whole time. 

Many people say they keep their eyes closed the entire time.  I wonder why the technicians don't offer blindfolds to the patients who may want them.  @RetRN, do you know anything about this?

It depends on what you think is over quickly and what you are having done. 

The first one I had done was of my uterus, the second of my shoulder.  Both were 45 minutes to an hour long and I thought the minutes flew by.  I remember in both instances when they said they were taking me out, I was shocked because it didn't feel like I'd been in there that long.  

Honored Contributor

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

@AnikaBrodie wrote:

@RetRN wrote:

@151949 wrote:

@151949   @RetRN

It depends on what you think is over quickly and what you are having done. 

The first one I had done was of my uterus, the second of my shoulder.  Both were 45 minutes to an hour long and I thought the minutes flew by.  I remember in both instances when they said they were taking me out, I was shocked because it didn't feel like I'd been in there that long.  

I think it also depends on if you hold perfectly still or if you fidget and they need to redo some of the pictures.I have had many MRI's because I had back issues requiring surgery and kidney cancer so they scan your entire body to look for any metastasis of the cancer. Never had any take very long.

Bone scans - that's another story - hours in there with that huge machine hovering inches from you.

Honored Contributor

Anyone here know about Bone Density Testing?  Some sort of radiology.   Number of minutes/hours?

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Regular Contributor

I totally agree with Cathbart,the first time I ever had the test I had a panic attack and they had to let me out. Then the nurse  told me the doctor would be very upset because I had t have surgery and he needed the test. I went back in and never opened my eyes and prayed the whole time and that is the only way I got through it. This was when the test was fairly new.  I donot think I could ever go back in again. I always say what did they do before this was invented. I think it is very tramatic for some people and I am not going to  be medicated to have one.  I  would talk to your doctor and see if they can give you another test that would be helpful.  Good Luck

Regular Contributor

I have had several bone dexity test over the years.  They are so easy and fast and nothing to it.  I just laid on the table fully clothed and a machine passes over the hips. I would not hesitate to have one.  They are usually taken every 3 to 4 years. They test for ostepena and osteoporosis.