Honored Contributor

Re: MANY FRIENDS NO LONGER AROUND

@Mom2Dogs wrote:

@Shanus ...I get it when you mentioned when/if your dh passes before you do...I am 15 years younger than my husband, he is in excellend health but for some reason my mind is occupied by what if's...no kids and as this thread has proven a lot of us are in the same boat when it comes to friends.

I am not a hand wringer, don't stress about much and this issue is not keeping me up at night, just on my mind...one of my very close friends lost her dh about 2 years ago, very unexpectedly.

@Mom2Dogs   I probably think about it more than I should.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: MANY FRIENDS NO LONGER AROUND

@Shanus wrote:

Some of my friends have retired and moved away. Other friends moved to be closer to grandchildren. Unfortunately, girlfriends have passed away or are going through serious illnesses and no longer wish to solicalize. If I add the ones who have gotten divorced through the years and moved into single women’s groups, well, my group of friends has greatly diminished.

At almost 71, I find it more difficult to make a “close” friend. The best I can hope for is an acquaintance...a “let’s meet for lunch” friend. I do volunteer work, am active in art’s council, have my own part time jobs (which are solitary) and talk to women at the gym. Many seem self involved and have their own groups and at this point in life, not willing to include others. 

Is anyone else facing these issues as age creeps up?

@Shanus- Sadly, I agree 100%. Too bad those of us from the Q board who are going through this time in our lives can't meet up and share a nice time together. After all, we do share a lot in common!

"That's a great first pancake."
Lady Gaga, to Tony Bennett