Honored Contributor

Re: MALL EMPTY LAST NIGHT

[ Edited ]

Our malls and restaurants are very crowded on Friday, Saturday and Sunday, including the outdoor malls.  During the week, not so much.  Once Thanksgiving is over, evening shopping will really pick up.  

I used take a day off of work and shop during the day for Christmas.  Generally the stores were pretty dead.  

As an aside, DH and I were in Nashville last weekend and we had to drive by Opry Mills on the way to our hotel and that parking lot was jam packed everytime we drove by it.  On our way there and back we also drove past an outlet mall in Columbus and one in Cincinnati and both appeared to have good crowds on Friday and Sunday.     

Honored Contributor

Our outlet mall and discount stores are jammed. Folks are watching their dollars more closely.

Honored Contributor

I think dept. stores that survive will go more the route of a Talbots store.  Smaller, big presence online, and in-store online ordering that the staff can do or you can also do in store.

That way you can see a lot of the merchandise, pick out what you want, try things on, see and feel it, then find out if you can get it online.  You or the clerk orders and in a few days it's at your door.

BUT you can also find things in-store, know in advance what is in the store and reserve it.  For emergencies or convenience.  They have the best of all worlds.

Our Talbots is always busy!  I order online a lot and take back what doesn't fit to the store and never have gotten anything but pleasant clerks to take my returns. 

Esteemed Contributor

I never go to malls. I've avoided them for many years. They really bug me.

I will go to stand alone stores though.

I'm increasingly shopping online and I'm finding I prefer it. I'm often shopping at the online version of B&M chains, so don't see that as competing with them.

Never bought anything through Amazon though. They are the online version of a mall, and it likewise bugs me.

Honored Contributor

How do we know? We've been there.When I say "the last time" I cannot remember but I know there were lots of teens. I think the TV stations also reported on this.

Respected Contributor

I have a very nice outdoor mall near me that I enjoy wandering around, although I don't do much spending.  They decorate beautifully for the season and have music playing and fires crackling and it's very dog friendly.  They also have a theatre and lots of nice restaurants.  However, they recently lost two of their biggest stores, Carson's and Nordstrom.  I hope they find good replacements. 

There's another indoor mall nearby that is so empty it's creepy.  The stores that are left appear to be mom & pop-owned second-hand type stuff.  It's so empty inside I feel a little unsafe, and honestly, depressed.  The only restaurants are the food court type.  The city is looking at repurposing the mall some way or another.  It's a shame, because the whole city was built around it back in the heyday of malls. 

I do the vast majority of my shopping at stand-alone stores (Target, Kohl's, Meijer) and on line.  I steer clear of the malls if at all possible.  They're just too overwhelming to me.  Too much sensory overload and I can't think straight. 

Respected Contributor

In the next town over we go to sometimes the malls have all closed there!! It is sad.

Respected Contributor

Our mall is always busy. Especially in the summer when it's 100+ degrees every day. 

Respected Contributor

@FrostyBabe1 wrote:

@Group 5 minus 1 wrote:

We have several malls in Grand Rapids and I cannot remember the last time we were at a mall. Our malls have become a hang out for teens.

Respectfully, how do you know that they’re teen hangouts if you haven’t been there? When I’m home, if I’m going to shop in a store, I drive up to GR to the malls. Lots more to choose from and I’ve never seen crowds of teens. 

@FrostyBabe1 I don't go to our mall either. Our local paper had a notice that our mall was asking kids 17 and under to leave after 5pm if they were not with an adult. I guess this has become a problem just over the last several years.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: MALL EMPTY LAST NIGHT

[ Edited ]

Malls are a dying breed.

They are (very) quickly becoming a thing of the past.

They are an antiquated way of shopping.

They had their hay-day (hey-day?) in the sun, but time marches on, and the only constant, is change.

The Sky looks different when you have someone you love up there.