Honored Contributor

@KarenQVC

This is a good read, which explains the conundrum of low income housing.

Respected Contributor

The senior low income buildings around the Detroit area often have a certain percentage set aside for the younger disabled.  One place I am familiar with, the Baldwin House in Birmingham MI, always seems to have openings.  Yes, this system is best for the seniors and permanently disabled.  Ann Arbor MI has low income units with 5 bedrooms.  There is no incentive to move out.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Low Income Budgeting

[ Edited ]

Low-income housing would be the last option for me; I wouldn't want the government to know all my business and they'll go down in your guts to see what you had for breakfast.......if I had other options, I would take them....you can't have a pet in low-income housing, either....

I'd rather live in my car for X amount of time, and save up for a mobile home.

Respected Contributor

DH and I qualify for low income housing, but the waiting list is several years. We will probably be dead by then, so why bother getting on the waiting list?  People need help NOW.

I promise to remind myself every day that I am strong, courageous, and resilient.
Honored Contributor

@YorkieonmyPillow wrote:

Low-income housing would be the last option for me; I wouldn't want the government to know all my business and they'll go down in your guts to see what you had for breakfast.......if I had other options, I would take them....you can't have a pet in low-income housing, either....

I'd rather live in my car for X amount of time, and save up for a mobile home.

Whether or not to allow pets in Section 8 housing is up to the landlord. If a building or complex allows pets, they can't discriminate against Sec 8 tenants that want to have a pet.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Respected Contributor

@Moonchilde...that is correct. Thank you for bringing that up.

I promise to remind myself every day that I am strong, courageous, and resilient.
Honored Contributor

@catwhisperer wrote:

@Moonchilde...that is correct. Thank you for bringing that up.

Many years ago they could prevent it, but there have been so many studies that show how beneficial to the health having a pet is, especially for the less-mobile elderly & disabled, that they changed the regulation. It was quite a few years ago now. I don't remember exactly when it was, but I remember how happy people were when it changed.

Respected Contributor

@Moonchilde...I admire you because you speak the truth and are not afraid to do so. You go girl.

Honored Contributor

@catwhisperer wrote:

@Moonchilde...I admire you because you speak the truth and are not afraid to do so. You go girl.

Why, thank you, @catwhisperer 😻

Respected Contributor

I think subsidized housing is scarce and the waiting lists are long.  You don't just sign up for it.   If your plan is to have taxpayers finance your retirement, you should rethink that idea.  Hopping on that gravy train is a pipe dream, not a plan.