Respected Contributor

@Chrystaltree2...gravy train? I have been working since I was 12 years old. Not able to start earning SS benefits until I was 16 and legaly able to get a SS card. I am now almost 65 and am receiving SS benefits. Still Struggling.

I promise to remind myself every day that I am strong, courageous, and resilient.
Respected Contributor

@catwhisperer wrote:

@Chrystaltree2...gravy train? I have been working since I was 12 years old. Not able to start earning SS benefits until I was 16 and legaly able to get a SS card. I am now almost 65 and am receiving SS benefits. Still Struggling.

OK but that does not change the fact that subsidized housing is not by any stretch of the imagination something you can count on.  You might not quality for it and even if you do, the waiting lists are years long....everywhere.  If that's plan A, you need a plan B. 

QVC Customer Care

This post has been removed by QVC, inappropriate.

Respected Contributor

In the course of my work, I was in several of the senior/disabled buildings in the Detroit suburbs.  They seemed fine to me.  Yes, you would have to apply ahead or be willing to live in another suburb.  Most of the time, though, you have time to plan ahead.  Some of the disabled were able to get in directly from nursing home care.  

Esteemed Contributor

@Ms X wrote:

We need more good jobs to return to the USA so that more people can afford to live a decent life.  Assistance with education and training could help low-income workers move up.  I hope there's more to the story regarding another poster's statement that that people stay in Section 8 indefinitely.  There definitely should be an upper limit for househod income.  Very often women in Section 8 live with their boyfriend who has a job but hide the fact that he's there.  Sometimes he's the father of their children but not on the birth certificate.  The system is overloaded in part by people who are not 100% honest.

Everything is not what it seems. I try hard not to judge people unless I have walked in their shoes.

Esteemed Contributor

@Chrystaltree2 wrote:

I think subsidized housing is scarce and the waiting lists are long.  You don't just sign up for it.   If your plan is to have taxpayers finance your retirement, you should rethink that idea.  Hopping on that gravy train is a pipe dream, not a plan.

Many folks do not have a choice.