Trusted Contributor

My son lost the only keys to his car. He is supposed to work tomorrow. Being Sunday, most car dealers, garages, etc. are closed. What is the best way to get a replacement asap. The car is a 2003 Buick. Unfortunately, his job is going door to door with the Census, so he can't just drive to work or take an Uber. 

UPdate:  He finally found them inside a cupboard in the garage. A big thank you to all who gave suggestions, and especially to homedecor1.  I am sure he will be getting a 2nd set very soon!

Regular Contributor

Depending on where you live, there are services that will come to your house and make keys. Google to see what you find. Good luckSmiley Happy

Esteemed Contributor

He can use Uber to go to work.

Honored Contributor

I figure he's up the creek without a paddle for awhile.   I doubt a locksmith could be of help with this situation.  

Your son is probably going to have to special order replacement keys thru a dealership, which won't be cheap.   

Honored Contributor

Is the dealer still open? The Buick dealer would probably be able to give him the code # for his keys. And hopefully an additional key.

PS When I bought my 2005 car, I was given a small disc. On the disc was a code #. If I wanted additional keys, I could walk into the car dealer and show them the code # and get additional keys.

I think dealers are open until at least 8 PM. One time my husband decided he wanted to trade in his car. We spent much of the Saturday afternoon and early evening in the dealership.

Esteemed Contributor

@geegerbee Can he take an Uber or Lyft to work tomorrow, and then call a locksmith Monday? If he is able to have someone come out this evening, it is likely to be considerably more expensive due to the weekend premiuml.😊

~~~All we need is LOVE💖

Honored Contributor

Public Transportation still exists.

I am at a loss here by this story.  If your son lost his keys between the last time he parked the car & walked into the house, the key is not lost.  He dropped and/or misplaced the key.

Did he "misplace" his second set too?

Just saying.....

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Esteemed Contributor

No suggestions for him-sorry.

This is a life lesson. You always need an extra set of keys. Always.

Mom-do not try to help. It is important for him to experience the consequence of his action, no matter how painful. Where might he have lost them? Is the car at home? If so, the keys are around somewhere. He should not rest until they are found.

He will be fine. Let him worry about his situation- NOT you. 

If he is old enough to drive he is old enough to be responsible for his car keys.

Trusted Contributor

let him figure it out...

dee

Esteemed Contributor

@geegerbee wrote:

My son lost the only keys to his car. He is supposed to work tomorrow. Being Sunday, most car dealers, garages, etc. are closed. What is the best way to get a replacement asap. The car is a 2003 Buick. Unfortunately, his job is going door to door with the Census, so he can't just drive to work or take an Uber. 

@geegerbee   maybe Car Key Express can help

we bought 2 toyota 2018 this year they only had 1 key each

so they came out and made extra keys.