Respected Contributor

I understand where you’re coming from.

I remember talking to my friend in early February this year (before we knew this virus would explode here) about how she and her husband were both turning 70 this year and it was also their 50 anniversary in the fall.  She was excited about a gathering they had arranged at a very nice resort to celebrate these events with family and they had also made reservations for a European river cruise this fall for the two of them. Well, all of that has been cancelled. Of course they will try to reschedule next year but it’s all very disappointing. 

Honored Contributor

I get it.  I spent my milestone birthday alone with texts and tears. 

Here's hoping for a better one at some point.    

Respected Contributor

Re: Lost Year of Milestones

[ Edited ]

It's been a rough year for most.

My grandson graduated from high school....no fanfare, no party.  Missed out on his last track season....he is a star sprinter.  The college he was going to run for cut their track program.

Granddaughter getting married in October.  It's now going to be a small outside morning ceremony and outdoor brunch afterward.  Not the big celebration they had originally planned.

My son and DIL had to cancel their dream vacation to Ireland in May....celebrated 25th anniversary at home.

My daughter was getting married in May.  Courthouse wasn't open to get the license....wedding postponed.

Lost a dear cousin to the virus.  No funeral, private burial.

Wr must roll with the flow.

Trusted Contributor

Thank You everyone.  I know we have all been experiencing the same things.

I've been spending the summer taking the kids on camping trips throughout Michigan.  That gets all of us doing something and we can stay away from people.

Honored Contributor

Re: Lost Year of Milestones

[ Edited ]

Yep, we're all in the same boat and it goes without saying we're grateful for our blessings, and, of course, could be worse off... but milestones aside, this is getting old and there's nothing wrong with saying so. This ongoing deferral of life with no end in sight is more than just a little unfortunate or inconvenient.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@stevieb wrote:

Yep, we're all in the same boat and it goes without saying we're grateful for our blessings, and, of course, could be worse off... but milestones aside, this is getting old and there's nothing wrong with saying so. This ongoing deferral of life with no end in sight is more than just a little unfortunate or inconvenient.

@stevieb If your life is only "unfortunate" or "inconvenient" I don't think any of us can complain about that.  Not that we won't complain, but so much of what is irritating and inconvenient are trivial in the face of thinking "what if we didn't have" for the basics in life.

So much of the deferral is of the "inconvenient" nature and when I get depressed I feel guilty for overlooking so many of my "fortunates."  

I am making this comment and understand there is the horrible and the tragic side of this but this is NOT what I am talking about.  But yes, I do feel ashamed of myself for so much of what I take for granted and expect in life. . . Woman Sad

Honored Contributor

I don't care about the milestones that may have been missed this year.  What I do miss is not being able to see, hug or kiss my daughter and son-in-law because of this.

I know we can visit, social distance and wear masks but they have worked amd are still working through this, dealing with the public and neither one of them want to put us at risk.

Honored Contributor

@Sooner  I understand what you're saying and as noted, agree we all need to stay aware of the positives in our lives, but also note, I said this has become more than merely a bit unfortunate or inconvenient. Frankly, aside from the devastation at so many levels, which is obvious, it's also become a major disruption and goes well beyond being a pain in the, well, wherever... I too try always to stay aware of the many blessings in my life, but I'm going to go out there on a limb and just say it... I'm tired of trying to gild this particular lily. This has been a nightmare in every conceivable way and continues to be so. I do look for light at the end of the tunnel but am not seeing much of it quite yet...

Smiley Wink

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Esteemed Contributor

@I am still oxox wrote:

Husband retired 4-20

Husband turned 6 on 5-5

27th wedding anniversary on 5-16, 

Its been 5 months most people I kow had many things going on

@I am still oxox 

Your husband turned 6?

😉

The Sky looks different when you have someone you love up there.
Honored Contributor

@Anonymous032819 wrote:

@I am still oxox wrote:

Husband retired 4-20

Husband turned 6 on 5-5

27th wedding anniversary on 5-16, 

Its been 5 months most people I kow had many things going on

@I am still oxox 

Your husband turned 6?

😉

@Anonymous032819 That's a whole new level of cougar.  Smiley LOL