Valued Contributor

Looking for white permanent marker for clothing

My sister had to go to a nursing facility for long-term care. Originally she was at a skilled nursing facility, and I brought all of her pajamas, tops, and sweatpants there, marked with the Sharpie regular black markers that I already had here at home. Now that she's going to long-term care, I want to take more of her regular clothing that happens to be black.

I've been looking online for a permanent marker in either white or yellow, and frankly, I'm not sure what to get. It seems that Sharpie doesn't make white. They do have silver and some lighter colors, but what I'm finding are fine point (I want the regular tip). Plus there seems to be three types: regular, water-based, and oil-based. I didn't know it was going to be so difficult just to find a white marker that will last on clothes through repeated washings. Would any of you have any other brands I could try which are available in singular form (not in expensive sets) and would hold up? Thanks.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Looking for white permanent marker for clothing

[ Edited ]

@qualityshopper - My daughter found some kind of permanent label for her daughters' items when they were in daycare. They came pre-printed (I think) with the name on each label.

Try google and see if you can find them - I'll try to see if she remembers where she got them.

I have looked for ages for white markers with no luck. 

Honored Contributor

@qualityshopper   try Googling "laundry marker for dark clothes".  Lots of choices

Respected Contributor

Google white fabric marker.

Honored Contributor

@qualityshopper  there are lots of permanent white markers online.  They are usually called "paint pens."  Just check that they have a fine tip, and are indeed permanent/waterproof (some are water-based -- you don't want those, unless you do want it to wash out). 

I use paint pens all the time, in various colors, including white.  Amazon has several.  

Respected Contributor

When my mother was in rehab and nursing homes, I ordered iron on labels from LabelLand (Google them).  I also got metallic markers for dark clothing.  

Respected Contributor

Ask at the nursing home, especially if they'll be doing the laundry. Many attach labels with names to each item of clothing.

Esteemed Contributor

@qualityshopper - checked with my daughter and she said try Oliverslabels dot com. They have kids and adults. Put a name on them and they are iron on. 

Hope this helps

Honored Contributor

@qualityshopper 

Check Amazon ....  search for white paint pen for fabric.

Esteemed Contributor

@qualityshopper 

After 20+ years working with individuals in long term health care, I recommend two options.

1.You might find a silver toned marker that is quite legible on dark fabrics. Silver worked well, white never did survive much laundering.

2. Some families had the resident's name printed in black on twill tape. This was custom work, maybe a length of tape with 100 printed names(?)

Then snip off a length of tape with one name and stitch it inside a garment.

Tip*  Ask at the center what they use for marking. Also, I'm sure they can connect you with other families that have found the best solutions, and the ones you should avoid. 

If they launder residents garments right there, then whoever sorts & returns the clean garments is your expert on this. They can literally show you what's easy to read, what doesn't fade or wash out.