Honored Contributor

Re: Looking for the Pot o' Gold at the Back Fence - March 2019

Hello all.  I've been going through jewelry and accessories that I no longer use/wear and have been listing them on the facebook marketplace.  

I had two bracelets - one a black hills gold sterling silver and turquoise bracelet and an arte d'argento silver and turquoise bracelet that I bought from the Q that I rarely wore before I retired and never wear now.  I price my items fairly and to move so when a lady from northern ohio said she wanted to buy both, since I don't ship or do the paypal payment thing, she and I agreed to meet 1/2 way between us (maybe 55-60 miles each) to do the sale.

I took a field trip yesterday, lol, to Monroe Michigan.  We met at a cracker barrel near the freeway (it don't take much for me to get lost) and we ended up having a coffee and muffin together.

I'll probably never drive that far again to make a sale.  It was a nice experience.  

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Honored Contributor

@Bird mama 

😄  You sound like me.  I’m not good with directions if I don’t know where I already am.  Years ago, I had to take one of our vendors home who happened to live down in Monroe.  It could have been Mars for all I knew.  I wanted to play cool and not let this guy know I was terrified I’d get lost trying to find my way back to the freeway from his house.  (I’m okay once on the freeway.)  I did find my way, but it was not an experience I ever wanted to repeat.  And haven’t.🤗   Funny the things we remember.

Honored Contributor

@geezerette   I do fairly well just slightly south of downtown Detroit on I-75.  Since you are familiar with the area, you know that once you get south of the city it's refineries, factories with smokestacks pumping so much stuff into the air you kind of want to hold your breath as you are driving past, lol.

It didn't help that I saw this right after it happened.

All lanes of northbound I-75 near Schaefer Road were blocked due to a crash, officials said.

This is northbound I-75 at exit 43.  Of course I was paying close attention to the exit numbers so I would know how close I was getting to my destination.  I was on southbound 75 and saw smoke and noticed the cab of the semi against the median.  A chunk of median was in the southbound lane closest to the median (thank goodness I was not in that lane).  The trailer that connects to the cab was disconnected and pointing in a twisted direction and as I passed by three things popped into my head.

1.  OMG

2.  Said our father for person behind the tractor trailer this happened to

3.  Uh oh, I didn't plan an alternate route home.  

It was a good thing me and the lady had coffee and a muffin because it gave the emergency people and road crew clean up people time to remove the carnage.  I could see on those light up sign they have on the freeway that one lane was open near exit 43 so I stayed the course.  We started all of this at 9:30 in the morning so we were both lucky to miss any and all rush hour traffic.

Honored Contributor

@Bird mama 

That looks nasty.  I sure hope everyone was okay.

Despite that, I have to say that one of your three things in your mind gave me a little chuckle.  #3.  When I worked (eons ago), I often had to pick up or drop off jobs at our vendors.  Some were downtown and others in Dearborn.  Our factory was out in Oakland County.  I had been shown how to get to each place and was fine about it—until something happened on a freeway and I had to take an alternate route.  Panic time!😱  I only knew where to go from the freeways.  Oh how I wish I’d had a cell phone with GPS, Google Maps, or a traffic app back then.

Glad you made it home okay!  And sold your jewelry to boot!👍  Whew.

Respected Contributor

I"m back at this part of the fence after a little trip to northern Mi.I like taking the old 2 lane highways instead of the 4 lanes.Less traffic and slower too,plus driving through small towns,makes for pleasant driving.I"m surprised that there are not more accidents on those big highways.Everyone driving 70 plus and way too close to the car in front of them.

Respected Contributor

Looks like idiot drivers must be nationwide these days. We sure have more than enough out here. And there is NO time that is a good time anymore.

Hope all have a great day.

Honored Contributor

Hello all, this is what I'm having for lunch so I thought you would like some.

Cheesy bread with a side of marinara sauce

Image result for cloverleaf cheesy bread

Image result for cloverleaf pizza

Respected Contributor

That looks good Bernie!

Am off to a slow start but I will eventually find the right gear. As usual looking forward to church - but it does seem more difficult to get ready.

Went to the Memorial yesterday for Kim, she was 60 and I had not seen her since she was a little child. So sad but she must have had a joyful life as they had family videos and she was nuts. I really laughed at some of her antics. The big plus for me was her Dad was there - I worked with Eddie in the newspaper business and worked for his Dad, Louis. One of the greatest people I ever knew. Had been trying to find  him for years. I was standing outside the church and saw this man bouncing along and I knew it was him. Remember he was young, bouncy then head full of hair and dark. I looked at him an said I think I know you, and he said I think you may be right. I said I am Freddie and you are Eddie aren';t you. He did another jig and I got a big hug and his phone number. He was such a nice person and obviously has not changed - other than getting older that is.

Hope all have a great day.

Honored Contributor

Freddie even though it was because of a sad circumstance, I'm glad you were able to connect with Eddie again.  

They say March comes in like a lion and goes out like a lamb. 

In Michigan March comes in and goes out as March pleases Woman LOL 

March began with normal temps then entered an arctic blast and is ending with some snow.  I noticed it snowing last night before I went to bed.  There was snow on the grass and the sidewalks were a little icey this morning when I awoke.

I'm glad that Easter is falling a little later in April this year.  At least if anyone wants to wear a spring outfit they have a better chance of pulling it off.

Honored Contributor

The April thread is ready

https://community.qvc.com/t5/Among-Friends/Spring-has-Sprung-at-the-Back-Fence-April-2019/m-p/537006...