Esteemed Contributor

Re: Looking for a new car next year

All I can say is that I have owned Subarus since 1980. They are the most reliable vehicles out there. Repairs are just about unknown. Now that most of my grandchildren are old enough to drive, I have given them my last Subaru...I trust these cars THAT MUCH.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Any of the models mentioned would serve you well. I'm not a Ford person, but I've heard the Escape is a nice vehicle with a lot of safety features.

Trusted Contributor

If you want more car for your money, or just to save some money, consider buying a retired rental car.  I believe Enterprise and Hertz still do this so check out their sites and see – it never hurts to look.  They generally take very good care of their cars and vehicles that were in accidents, floods, abused, had lots of mechanical issues, etc. are sent to auction houses, not their resale lots.  I have purchased several cars this way and saved a whole lot of money on each one.  They were all great cars – no problems at all.  When you buy a new car (and I always used to do that) you lose so much money in depreciation the moment you drive off their lot.  You save that money when buying a rental, and rentals often have upgraded equipment included that might not be affordable if you got a new car.  Many of the vehicles are in the same model year – only months old. They turn cars frequently in the rental business.  Still, if you find one you love, have it checked out by a mechanic before you buy.  Just a thought to consider to stretch your money….I know it is not for everyone.

Snarky responders need not reply. Move along and share your views elsewhere.
Esteemed Contributor

@itsmagic wrote:

I have a Honda CRV that is now 16 years old.  No major repairs - just normal wear and tear replacements (brakes, battery) over the years.  It has served me well. 

@itsmagic 

You made me feel good about driving my 14 year old car which like yours has never needed any major repairs. It has of course acquired some minor little dings and scratches (mostly from grocery carts) but I love my car. Mine is an Acura MDX w/not quite 70,000 miles on it and I have no plans to let it go anytime soon.

My one son just turned his lease in last week and got a Jeep Cherokee to replace it. After showing me all it's bells & whistles.........OMG........I'd have to take computer classes.

Valued Contributor

We have had a Ford Escape for the last five years and have really liked it - have had good luck with it. Dh and I just got back from a trip and rented a Ford Explorer ( one size up from the Escape). We both really liked the Explorer, especially DH who kept saying that he really liked the Explorer and now he'd like to buy one. Of course it doesn't get as good has mileage as our Escape but it is a nicer ride.

Respected Contributor

LOVE my Subaru Forester.  I'm driving my second.  The first was a Black 1999 Forester which I loved and gave to my step son.  I replaced that with a Black 2007 Forester, which will be 13 years old in August (purchased in 2006). I've had several people want to purchase it from me.  I tell them all it's still a baby at only 112,000 miles.  When the time comes,  I'll replace it with another Black Forester.  The last time I left my vehicle at the dealer (where I do all my oil changes and maintenance) they gave me a new Forester as a loaner.  OMG...  SO FABULOUS.  Love the size, the compartments, the GPS (which I don't have on mine) is wonderful,  the handling and the way it drives.  When I go to visit clients I rent a car or SUV, and can't wait to get home to my Forester.  I can't recommend it enough. 

Regular Contributor

I was leasing a chevy malibu to be turned in soon and they have a very sharp looking Chevy Blazer in their showroom...they are back and new since the beginning of 2019..and appear to have great reviews so far.   

Super Contributor

If possible for me I only keep a car 4-5 years then get rid of it...My Chevy Trax is 2yrs old and it's not that I don't like the car I just want more room...The car is small and  has not given me any trouble (shouldn't anyway) but either way I would have to buy it out or look for another - so I decided to get a new one... My son-in-law only leases cars/SUV's and will never buy - he kind of talked me into doing the same thing... Nothing like a new car that's all mine...Been putting money away for the past three years so I will have enough to make a decision about the car...I am a single person so I hope to make the right choice...

Esteemed Contributor

Another vote for Subaru. Good vehicles.

Honored Contributor

I highy recommend "factory ordering" a new car.  This way YOU get choose what YOU want interior & exterior.

I factory ordered my Ford 1 1/2 yrs ago.  I was more than pleased w/the ending results.

Oh, you still get all the deals that are offered tacked on from the time you factory ordered till your car is delivered.

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif