Respected Contributor

Re: Looking for a new car next year

I currently have a 2017 Subaru Forester Touring & love it.  I've owned only Subarus since 1986 (1986 GL Wagon, 1993 Legacy LSi wagon, 2003 Forester & my current Forester) after a coworker who owned a Subie was the only way I could get to & from work during a bad snowstorm that left the Seattle area roads impassable for my then rear wheel drive '79 Chevy Malibu.  I was sold!

Not sure, but I think the Outback is a longer vehicle than the Forester so if the size & length is important check it out.  I know I measured out how long a car I could buy that would fit in my garage & the Outback ws a no-go for me due to a built-in workbench at the back of the garage that reduced the amount/length of space I could fit a car into.  My Forester fits perfectly.

Honored Contributor

We drive Toyota 4 Runners.  Mine is a classic.  Absolutely no repaurs, only routine maintenance.  I can get caught in any weather and 

I'm totally safe.

Honored Contributor

We have an Outback purchased new late in 1995.  It's a 1996 model.  We still drive it.  It's in great shape.  We keep it for an emergency vehicle in case one of our everyday car breaks down and needs repairs.  Other family members borrow it if needed too.

I would recommend highly.

Esteemed Contributor

I am driving my second Subaru Forester.  I just love this car.  It handles so well and is solidly built.  The safety record is great.  I was hit by a distracted driver about a year and a half ago.  I was stopped, and he slammed into me going about 40mph.  If you saw my car, you would have been amazed.  Yes, obviously hit and bumper gone.  But the major damage was to the underside of my car.  I had some medical stuff to deal with and am fine now.  But I shudder to think of how bad it might have been without my Forester.  

Respected Contributor

Whenever I need a new car I always check Consumer Reports and pretty much without fail, Toyota and Honda are always the top sedan picks so I would look at Camrys and Civics.  My choice was always made by deciding whichever dealer gave me the better deal I'd buy.  I've always gotten a Toyota - but only bc the Honda dealer was known for playing pricing games.  Once they got the prices higher and higher they'd come on with the hard sell. I walked each and every time. 

In 2004 I moved to a more rural part of VA that always got snow so I bought a RAV-4. I LOVE that.  I don't think you can go wrong with any of your choices. 

Honored Contributor

My sister is on her second CRV....she has had it forever and I am sure it is well over 150k miles so far. I have a Lexus GX470. Best car I have ever had. It is a 2007 and still looks and runs like it was brand new.....except I bought it preowned...😉
Honored Contributor

We have a 12 year old CRV that's still going strong!  Never had a problem with it.  DH uses it now and I got a small Hyndai Elantra that was leased.  While I love it and how it handles, I'm thinking of going back to an SUV when the lease is up.  I just like being up a bit higher.  I'm thinking of looking into the Honda HRV. 

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@nyc1 wrote:

@hondagirl wrote:

Like the Suburu Forester but it might be too big for me - I am only one driving it - will have to take a test run...Not sure of the price but my spending is limited... So be it...

@hondagirl   Definitely take a test drive.  I don't like large vehicles either,  but I don't want anything too small.  The Forester, for me,  is the perfect size. 

@nyc1  @hondagirl The Subaru Crosstrek is a little smaller and closer to the ground than the Forester, you might be more comfortable in that model. Same +++ features- great safety record too! It's also a couple thousand dollars less.....

Honored Contributor

@hondagirl ................Im surprised by your nic that you would consider anything else but a Honda.  IMO they cant be beat.  Good luck in whatever you choose.

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Honored Contributor

In 2003 I special ordered a Ford Escape with all bells and whistles.  After 15 years and under 60,000 miles I traded in for another Ford Escape, 2018 and same color.  I figured the other did so well for me why not stay with what made me the happiest.  I did research online on so many suv's for months before Jan. 2018.  But when my personal deadline approached the Ford place was the first place I went and the last.

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."