Honored Contributor

Re: Looking for Shade at the Back Fence - August 2019

@Epicurean   Yea that's why I said let the doctor know.  Depending on what else is going on something over the counter is NOT for everybody.   You know when I was a kid, my grandma's seemed obsessed about 'going'.  As I grew up I understood the importance - once the body is done with the food, it needs to go, preferably on some kind of schedule.

Many medications for pain and other things cause a slow bowl motility so if the new med is helping you, that's great.

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Respected Contributor

@Bird mama  My DDIL is doing o.k. at this point.Waiting to see if radiation will be needed.

Happy belated birthday to you!! My daughters birthday was the 25th and her present was getting to go home!

Honored Contributor

Belated birthday greetings to your daughter @hellie jo 

Once she heals up, she really needs to treat herself to something special.

Honored Contributor

Whoopsie - I did it again, I walked right past the Fence yesterday and didn't stop Woman Very Happy

I spent lots of time on the internet researching the best or most effective caulk/sealant for the expansion joints in the driveway and alongside the patio where it meets the brick house.

Now that it is cooling down, I need to get out there and pull out the old caulk and re-do all of it.  My husband last did it in 2002 and I have to say, it held up for over 15 years. 

From all the research, I'm going to need at least 3 different varieties.  I need to reseal around the back door so that's one kind of caulk.  I'm going to go with DAP brand that is elastomeric so I can have something that contracts and expands with the cold and heat we get here without splitting or cracking right away.

For the smaller gapped expansion joints I need one kind by Sika.  Of course, I have some whopper gaps between the patio and one part of the house and that requires a different kind by Sika.

One thing for sure, I will be buying lots and I mean lots of that foam backer rod.  

It's going to be a PITA to do however I can only hope my work lasts as long as my husband's did.

Honored Contributor

@Bird mama wrote:

Whoopsie - I did it again, I walked right past the Fence yesterday and didn't stop Woman Very Happy

I spent lots of time on the internet researching the best or most effective caulk/sealant for the expansion joints in the driveway and alongside the patio where it meets the brick house.

Now that it is cooling down, I need to get out there and pull out the old caulk and re-do all of it.  My husband last did it in 2002 and I have to say, it held up for over 15 years. 

From all the research, I'm going to need at least 3 different varieties.  I need to reseal around the back door so that's one kind of caulk.  I'm going to go with DAP brand that is elastomeric so I can have something that contracts and expands with the cold and heat we get here without splitting or cracking right away.

For the smaller gapped expansion joints I need one kind by Sika.  Of course, I have some whopper gaps between the patio and one part of the house and that requires a different kind by Sika.

One thing for sure, I will be buying lots and I mean lots of that foam backer rod.  

It's going to be a PITA to do however I can only hope my work lasts as long as my husband's did.

@Bird mama   Wow, this should keep you out of trouble for a while, lol, lots of hard work.  We still havn't caulked around the new front deck from 2013, must get on DH to do it, but there are so many other projects, and he is only here one day a week, so everything takes forever.  I pulled him away from repairing parts of a fence to do long reach pruning with the electric saw, painting, next will be buying and painting baseboards for the rec room to have ready to install after the floor is laid, but if the weather holds for as long as Acuweather says, he has months ahead for outside repairs.

We also have to plant thirty or so Jasmine plants along the bulwark in the driveway, and each requires a wire basket to keep the gophers away, and a drip system, that is still there from the previous plants, but has to be cleaned out and adjusted.  Maybe once he is working from home, there may be more time as he won't be spending three or more hours a day on commuting.

Honored Contributor

@mousiegirl 

I thought about investing in an easy to apply product called Trim A Slab.  If I lived in Texas like the inventor, maybe, lol.  Also, if all the expansion joints were the same size I could see doing it.

In Michigan I need waterproof and after all of my research the only choice is backing rod and an elastomeric caulk. 

It's like the chimney crown that I applied a sealer to in May.  My choice was, get over my fear of heights, pay a chimney sweep $500 to do it or ignore it and end up spending $10 grand for a new chimney.  I got over my fear.

My concern is waterproofing and sealing any part of the driveway and patio that abuts the house.  It may be tiresome to do but in the long run it prevents damage to the foundation and big $$$$$$ later.

Honored Contributor

@Bird mama wrote:

@mousiegirl 

I thought about investing in an easy to apply product called Trim A Slab.  If I lived in Texas like the inventor, maybe, lol.  Also, if all the expansion joints were the same size I could see doing it.

In Michigan I need waterproof and after all of my research the only choice is backing rod and an elastomeric caulk. 

It's like the chimney crown that I applied a sealer to in May.  My choice was, get over my fear of heights, pay a chimney sweep $500 to do it or ignore it and end up spending $10 grand for a new chimney.  I got over my fear.

My concern is waterproofing and sealing any part of the driveway and patio that abuts the house.  It may be tiresome to do but in the long run it prevents damage to the foundation and big $$$$$$ later.

@Bird mama   My driveway is blacktop, very old.  I think the long part can be covered with a coat or two, but there is a large area near the garage where tree roots have created mounds, have tripped over them more than once, lol, so that would have to be dog up and newly laid, big bucks for the entire driveway, so am waiting until just before we move down the road.

Honored Contributor

The September Back Fence is up

https://community.qvc.com/t5/Among-Friends/Autumn-s-Just-Around-the-Corner-at-the-Back-Fence-Sept-20...