Esteemed Contributor

Re: Living next door to an abusive neighbor

We have neighbors like that too. They are not close, but they are so loud that we hear a lot of fighting. I really think this man has some sort of mental illness. When he sounds completely crazy and out of control I call the cops. There are also children involved. 

I kid you not, they were fighting a few years ago and at this time, he had moved out, and was there visiting. She had a new man over there. All three of them were outside. All of a sudden, (my husband heard her he was outside) she started screaming "Oh My God, Oh My God" then bam! Gunshots. I looked out and my husband was running to the house. Nobody got hit and all three got arrested. 

Sometimes its hard to know what to do, but I'm paying a heck of a lot more taxes than these renters and some days I'm just not in the mood for it. 

Honestly, if it goes on all day I'd start calling the cops. Are there not any disturbing the peace laws there?

Respected Contributor

That's awful.  We had this kind of syndrome.  One night around 3:00am, this guy and his girlfriend were in front of our house, (naturally) I got up because of all the shouting and saw him haul off and belt her right in the face.  Her feet flew out from underneath her and she landed in the gutter.  I was crying and upset and IMMEDIATELY called the police and told them what I just saw.  They had been to the house many times that night.  I was so tired of it.  They came and took him away in hand cuffs.  We had to deal with it for years.  He's finally gone.  However, another will always take their place.....

Honored Contributor

i would call the police.  Many children turn into abusers.  The only change will come from the outside, not for the inside.

Honored Contributor

@Helen Bach   Lots of advice.  Now we want to know what you decided to do? 0

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Contributor

As a retired RN   , I was a mandated reporter for both children and adults in need of care, Reports to CPS or Child Protective Srtvices are always confidential.  Unfortunately, ut sounds like all your evidence is sounds heard between homes (correct me if i have misunderstood).  Most investigators want things you yourself have seen, such as bruising, school aged children stayig home from school  , evidence of  drug paraphanalia outside the house, such as needles. These are things you yourself can , if needed, be deposed   as to ithe things you saw with your own euyes;  Now...if it sounds as though someone is being battered next door.... a call to 911 to the   police would be my suggestion... I hope this helps

Respected Contributor

After most tragedies that happen and end up on the news, you here "if you see something, say something."  In this case, "if you hear something, say something."

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

At most I would call the police but only you know if that is warranted.  If CPS in your area is anything like ours, they aren't going to do anything over some screaming and yelling.  Heck ours doesn't do much when children are getting pummeled by their parents.  Their goal is to keep families together.

Also, don't always assume that your call to the police is confidential.  I called 911 to report a shooting after I heard the shots and saw 2 men cutting through yards on my street.  At the time DH and I had a police scanner.  I turned it on when I heard the gunshots.  The dispatcher announced my home address and told the police to come to my home to speak with me as a witness.  I was thrilled with that especially when I found out this was a gang related shooting.   

Super Contributor

Things did escalate, and she kicked him out.  He got arrested for trying to strangle the wife.  He posted bail and came back with a gun and threatened to kill the whole family.  What he did was shot his 3 year old in the head.

He was arrested again, this time hopefully for a long time, and the 3 year old is in ICU.  The other boy is 6 years old, witnessed the whole thing and apparently had to beg for his own life.  It is a tragic tale of domestic violence, poverty and ignorance  and probably some mental issues.  I feel terrible for that family but I hope they move someplace safe

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Helen Bach wrote:

Things did escalate, and she kicked him out.  He got arrested for trying to strangle the wife.  He posted bail and came back with a gun and threatened to kill the whole family.  What he did was shot his 3 year old in the head.

He was arrested again, this time hopefully for a long time, and the 3 year old is in ICU.  The other boy is 6 years old, witnessed the whole thing and apparently had to beg for his own life.  It is a tragic tale of domestic violence, poverty and ignorance  and probably some mental issues.  I feel terrible for that family but I hope they move someplace safe

I just read about this tragic, horrific situation, which occurred two weeks ago.

“The soul is healed by being with children.”
— Fyodor Dostoyevsky
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@misskansas1947 wrote:

As a retired RN   , I was a mandated reporter for both children and adults in need of care, Reports to CPS or Child Protective Srtvices are always confidential.  Unfortunately, ut sounds like all your evidence is sounds heard between homes (correct me if i have misunderstood).  Most investigators want things you yourself have seen, such as bruising, school aged children stayig home from school  , evidence of  drug paraphanalia outside the house, such as needles. These are things you yourself can , if needed, be deposed   as to ithe things you saw with your own euyes;  Now...if it sounds as though someone is being battered next door.... a call to 911 to the   police would be my suggestion... I hope this helps

@misskansas1947   Agree.  You need to present visual evidence to CPS when you call. 

I agree a call to 911 would be the option if it seems physical harm is happening.

If this is a matter of constant yelling and just being loud, 911, imo, is not warranted.  We have a non-emergency number to report nuisance issues.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh