Super Contributor

Living next door to an abusive neighbor

Neighbors scream and fight all night, all day.  The 2 children also scream too. It's a hoarder house too. We are torn whether to mind our own business or call Child Protective Services.  And don't suggest we go over there and offer to babysit because that's a hellish drama going on and I don't want to get sucked into it.  What would you do?

Respected Contributor

Re: Living next door to an abusive neighbor

If the kids are in danger call the police.  If not MYOB

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Helen Bach    It sounds like a situation that should be investigated bu CPS.  Such situations tend to escalate into physical violence.  You can report it and remain anonymous.  Poor kids.

I would never hesitate to report possible abuse to either children, the elderly or animals.  I feel we have a moral obligation to the helpless. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@Helen Bach    How old are the children?  Do you ever hear them crying?  It might be a good thing to call and tell them you don't want your name used.  Everyone that lives around them can hear them so you are not the only one.  HOarding is also offsensive.  Talk about a disfunctional family but my concern would be the children.  The parents may be on drugs too.

kindness is strength
Respected Contributor

What you mean by fighting? Is it just screaming and yelling? If too loud, call the police. If there are signs of physical violence, call the police.

Esteemed Contributor

If you are hearing screaming all day and night, call the police.  Then, call CPS.  If they are renters, notify the landlord.  More than likely, the police and CPS have already been notified, but definitely request anonymity.

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Honored Contributor

I'd call the police before calling CPS.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

@suzyQ3    The police and CPS work very closely together.  If the police arrive and see the situation the OP describes, in most jurisdictions they'd automatically involve CPS. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@Helen Bach wrote:

Neighbors scream and fight all night, all day.  The 2 children also scream too. It's a hoarder house too. We are torn whether to mind our own business or call Child Protective Services.  And don't suggest we go over there and offer to babysit because that's a hellish drama going on and I don't want to get sucked into it.  What would you do?

Can't imagine anyone suggesting that you go over there and offer to babysit. That would be insane. You have 2 choices, notify the authorities or MYOB. How old are these adults and the children?

Trusted Contributor

I would have already called.  Last summer in a home behind us  I could hear a man yelling  at his wife. It's was very disturbing. I thought about calling the police but I was scared. Finally one night I heard her cry out in pain. I called the police at once. It was late at night so  didn't know what happened until I talked to a neighbor and he told her that his wife decided to move back home.

I was very happy I had called.