Esteemed Contributor

Re: Living closer to family - opinions wanted

I think i agree if you want to move closer then actually move closer. Two hours would probsbly be to far. I would look at no more thrn 20 to 30 minutes. Also it depends on what family you want to move closer to. Is it your kids and grandkids? You will want to be close so you can go to your grandkids activities. If it is your kids and grand kids I would be asking them if they plan on staying in the area. Dont want to move then they move.

Esteemed Contributor

@ccassaday  I know I'll have to move again eventually, but I hope it won't be for a long time.  Maybe someone will relocate to Florida and I can follow them there.  That's not so bad.🌞🏖

Honored Contributor

If the "family" of which you speak are parents, keep in mind that as they age, they may need you more and more.  In their last years I was at my parents house almost daily to help them with something or to take them somewhere.  I was very glad that I only lived 1 mile from them.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@Snoopp wrote:

I would love some opinions on what you consider "close" to family.  I am considering a move and wonder if 2 hours by car is close enough ( the current drive can be 6 hours) or if I would be trading a long drive for another shorter drive but not getting the benefit of having family close to me.  I'm leaning toward the view that this might still be farther away than I want.  

@Snoopp

I have never lived a far distance from immediate family nor would I want to.  I am close to my brothers and sisters.  We live about 30 minutes from my brother, which is the way I want and love it.  I am blessed to be close friends with all my brothers and sisters.  If that is your experience, move close.  Two hours for me is not close enough.

"Faith, Hope, Love; the greatest of these is Love." ~The Silver Fox~
Honored Contributor

I'm not sure how that would help you because every family is different and connections and relationships are different.  Speaking for myself, yes.  I would consider 2 hours close because that's close enough for me to visit on a Sunday afternoon.  It's close enough for us to be there if anyone needs something.  At this stage of my life (58 yrs), a two hour drive isn't a long one for me.  I'm close to one sister and my girls and I would never want to be so far away from them that I couldn't see them often, any time we want.  However, none of us "needs" the other so that is not a factor.  Two hours would probably be too long a drive to get to a relative who needs help on a regular basis.  

Respected Contributor

I live 2 1/2 hours from my childhood family. It is a comfortable distance for me.

Respected Contributor

Being closer is better than being far. Family matters and unfortunately many do not realize this until the moment comes when being "there" makes a difference.

If you have the choice, stay near.

Honored Contributor

If I wanted to move closer to family, I'd move within a half hour.  Two hours is close enough if the visits were say once a month.  I wouldn't want to drive four hours round trip once a week.

Respected Contributor

I don't know, I think I would want to be less than two hours away, maybe more like one hour.

As I get older I don't want to drive for two hours anywhere. 

Honored Contributor

This all depends on your circumstances not only now, but what they might likely be in the future. 

If you are one that can easily pick up and move, two hours for now might be good. If money or work prevents that, you need to figure out why you are wanting to be closer, both for now and what future needs/wants might be. 

And I'll caution you to think about the true reality of your family dynamics. Sometimes families seem happy and 'close' but they are only because of the distance. They don't see each other too often, aren't overly involved in and know all the (sometimes not so nice) details, have to put up with moods and issues on a more frequent basis. The distance and infrequency of the visits makes for people being on their best behavior, not over staying their welcome, not being intrusive or too needy. Living closer and seeing people more often, we often see the 'real' side of everyone, and it isn't that great, happy, holiday and vacation person we think we know. 

If you will be called upon to help out in the family (like sit with grands, or take care of elderly relatives) are you willing and capable? If you are looking for the assistance either now or in the future, are you sure they are going to have the time and willingness and ability to do what you will be wanting/needing?

Those kinds of things should be discussed, openly and in very frank terms, before any decision about relocating is made.