Trusted Contributor

Listed in CoWorkers EEO Case.......What to do???

A coworker listed me in her EEO case.  I feel she has accurate informaton but sh can retire in 2 years.  I have another 5-6-7 to go.

I really don't want to get involved but I have to also work with her closely EVERYDAY and she sits right beside me.

My agency's Office of General Counsel sent me an email with 40 questions for me to answer, sign and return.

I sent an email that I will be contacting my attorney prior to responding.

I don't have an attorney and don't want to pay for one.

How can I NOT respond but don't hurt her case?  

Happiness is ALWAYS an inside job,
Don't assign anyone else that much POWER
in your life!!!
Respected Contributor

Re: Listed in CoWorkers EEO Case.......What to do???

If I were in your position I wouldn't approach it from a standpoint of trying to help or hurt her case - I'd just be honest.  However - I would hire an attorney before answering.  An initial consultation may be all you neejd - not expensive.  

Honored Contributor

Tell the truth.

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Trusted Contributor

The issue I should have mentioned is I "KNOW" I would be retailed against as I have seen others and I don't want the DRAMA.

I want things to continue quietly as is.  

I don't want to answer and I wonder if they can "MAKE ME" or if anything can happen if I never respond.

in your life!!!
Respected Contributor

@Happiness Is Inside JOB   Does this paperwork "demand" that you respond, sent certified letter, or just mailed to you?  If just a questionnaire, I would hold off answering until you are required to do so...possible under penalty of law.

I don't have experience in this, but if you are required to answer you should do so truthfully but briefly without elaborating on the issue, or if you can't recall, then answer "I can't recall".

If your employer retaliates due to your "involvement" in her case, you will then have a case yourself. 

Good luck, and keep copies off anything and everything you submit, AND stop speaking with this coworker about anything other then what is necessary.  They have put you in a very awkward position, and I personally would not be happy about that. 

......You look like I need a drink.....
Trusted Contributor

The questions were sent to me via email.  I will limit my conversations and I did not tell the lady that I received the questions.  I'm not responding cause I know how supervisors can make people's life terrible. Everybody is not an EEO - fight injustices - type of person.  I really don't want the stress and dramam.

I am too close to the end and I have a peaceful situation.

in your life!!!
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Happiness Is Inside JOB  I get you are concerned about your future but not cooperating and being truthful is just letting dishonest things happen and continue.  How would you feel if you were the one with the claim?  You could have your attorney send a notice to your employer that they are on notice that if they retaliate in any way there will be legal action against them.  Your employer is counting on employees fears and insecurity to get no negative info from you or others.  That is exactly why employers get away with things.  I know I would never work in a place like that without speaking out no matter what the outcome would be - but that's me.  

Ultimately the decision is yours and if you have to do it but don't want to be targeted answer in generalities but don't lie.  You still could have issues with your employer not because of this case but because they apparently think they can blatantly ignore laws meant to protect employees. 

Good luck with whatever you do.

Honored Contributor

You have been put in a very awkward position. I would minimize contact with her and only fill out the questionnaire if you have no way to avoid it.
Esteemed Contributor

I would speak to an attorney.HR could go after anyone next. It could be you.
Trusted Contributor

@lovesrecess wrote:
You have been put in a very awkward position. I would minimize contact with her and only fill out the questionnaire if you have no way to avoid it.

I'm try my BEST to not respond.  I have to look out for ME!!!!  

in your life!!!