Esteemed Contributor

Is Susan Graver the first person who put 95% polyester and 5% spandex together?  She acts like it, but I doubt that is the case.  I have a collection of liquid knit, so I guess I like it well enough.  Sometimes I think it is too thin though.  I like the dress weight better.  I agree it is too hot when it is hot AND humid outside.

I have a Bob Macke top (in 3 different colors) that is 9% polyester and 5% spandex, and I like that material way better than liquid knit, as it just feels beter for some reason.  So no, not all polyester is the same, but that does not mean that Susan Graver's is the best either, imho.

Always remember that you are absolutely unique. Just like everyone else. Margaret Mead
Trusted Contributor

Re: Liquid Knit = Polyester

[ Edited ]

Not only is it terrible for the environment, it's also dangerous for your body because it's made of 100% petroleum.  Same with the new microfiber sheets, just petroleum. Another product that's likely contributing to serious health problems.

A year or two ago  I bought a few t shirts made of 60 cotton/40 poly.  It's a common blend now.  100% cotton is getting hard to find at a reasonable price. I did not wear them for work out, just regular wear.  I had to throw them out after about 6 months because they developed a disgusting musty and sour odor that wouldn't even come out in the wash.  I only line dry my clothes so it wasn't baked in from the heat of the dryer.

My friend has the same problem with workout wear, she has to toss it in a couple of months. I read online that any poly clothing has be washed asap after wearing to prevent it from developing permanent odors.  Poly is just bad and also rayon and spandex (do not breathe either) which are all just being pushed down our throats.  There's plenty of info online about this. 

Honored Contributor
SG has priced herself out of my range. I like some of her artisan things...but can’t/won’t pay $70 for them
Respected Contributor

Whatever you do; whatever you call it....just don't wear it too close to an open flame! YIKES! 

Honored Contributor

@Snowhite714 wrote:

@Harvard99 wrote:

@Kachina624 wrote:

@QP Doll. Beacuae she wants to give the impression that hers is "special".  All the Q lines use a ton of polyester.  Once I heard a host describe Bob Mackie's poly as being "like liquid knit".  He took offense and said, "No, it is not".  But in essence it is.

I would think he'd know, after all. he really is a famous designer, not like S Graver.

I live in S Florida, so none, zero, zilch of this polyester in my closet, by whatever name you call it.  Believe me, it does not feel like silk, regardless of what it  'mimics.'  I sweat just thinking about it. 

@Harvard99  You get it, thank you.

@Snowhite714. @Harvard99.  I spent 35 years in Texas, Houston and West Texas, and always wore a lot of poly to work.  Because I was not outside digging ditches, I was never uncomfortable.  Great winter fabric for that climate too.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@mspatmac wrote:

@Snowhite714 wrote:

@Harvard99 wrote:

@Kachina624 wrote:

@QP Doll. Beacuae she wants to give the impression that hers is "special".  All the Q lines use a ton of polyester.  Once I heard a host describe Bob Mackie's poly as being "like liquid knit".  He took offense and said, "No, it is not".  But in essence it is.

I would think he'd know, after all. he really is a famous designer, not like S Graver.

I live in S Florida, so none, zero, zilch of this polyester in my closet, by whatever name you call it.  Believe me, it does not feel like silk, regardless of what it  'mimics.'  I sweat just thinking about it. 

I get it too!  Can't imagine wearing it during Texas summers.

@mspatmac.  I wore it during many Texas summers and never thought a thing about it....but then I was in air conditioning all day.

Honored Contributor

i agree @Kachina624 !

i live in a humid climate and have never had issues with liquid knit being too hot.

in fact, i much prefer it to 100% cotton (which i refuse to purchase.)

there is a reason why good sports brands and sports teams use poly/span and poly!

whatever she wants to call it is fine with me.....it doesnt wrinkle, it takes and holds color well, it is moisture wicking, it washes easily, packs well.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@sunshine45.   I think on boards like this, one person jumps on the "anti anything" bandwagon and others follow.  I hate anything 100% cotton and find a substantial cotton tee or jeans to be the hottest things in the closet.  I'm a huge fan of cotton/poly blend.

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@sunshine45 wrote:

i agree @Kachina624 !

i live in a humid climate and have never had issues with liquid knit being too hot.

in fact, i much prefer it to 100% cotton (which i refuse to purchase.)

there is a reason why good sports brands and sports teams use poly/span and poly!

whatever she wants to call it is fine with me.....it doesnt wrinkle, it takes and holds color well, it is moisture wicking, it washes easily, packs well.

Eta  @Kachina624 
@sunshine45  All this polyester clothing nowadays,like SG ,is not moisture wicking. The moisture stays on your skin and is trapped there. It's made of petroleum so moisture is trapped there, does not pass thru the fabric and then evaporate,  Very unhealthy. 

"Moisture wicking fabric" is a special way that poly is woven for athletic wear.  It basically is woven with tiny holes for the persiration to pass through and evaporate.  Otherwise it would be the same as the poly SG and all these manufacturers sell, cheap fabric for a lot of money 

Trusted Contributor

Re: Liquid Knit = Polyestertton in Flor

[ Edited ]

@Kachina624 wrote:

@mspatmac wrote:

@Snowhite714 wrote:

@Harvard99 wrote:

@Kachina624 wrote:

I get it too!  Can't imagine wearing it during Texas summers.

@mspatmac.  I wore it during many Texas summers and never thought a thing about it....but then I was in air conditioning all day.

@Kachina624  In the a/c anything is comfortable, even a sweater.  People who spend time outside in climates like Texas or Florida don't normally choose to wear polyester clothing.  I also don't wear heavy gauge100% cotton t shirts I look for lighter weight cotton tees and tops.  The poly/ cotton blends aren't good for me in Florida either.