Trusted Contributor

Re: Levothyroxine Morning or Night

@AnikaBrodie wrote:

@joann1218    I have taken Levothyroxine for many years.  I always take it in the morning first thing with a full glass of water.  I eat breakfast within 30 minutes of taking it, per my doctor's directions.  I have never taken it at night.

I take it same as you.....been doing that way for 53 years. When I began taking thyroid drug in 1968 synthetic brands like Synthroid were not yet widely in use. I began by taking desiccated thyroid hormone, I think it was made from the urine of female horses. Times have changed!

Respected Contributor

@AnikaBrodie 

Same with me.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@gidgetgh 

Interesting, I was told wait 30 minutes. Take it first thing in the morning then I set the oen timer for 30 minutes so I don't have to wait a minute longer than I have to!

Very hard when  you want your coffee so bad!

Honored Contributor

@CJC wrote:

@AnikaBrodie wrote:

@joann1218    I have taken Levothyroxine for many years.  I always take it in the morning first thing with a full glass of water.  I eat breakfast within 30 minutes of taking it, per my doctor's directions.  I have never taken it at night.

I take it same as you.....been doing that way for 53 years. When I began taking thyroid drug in 1968 synthetic brands like Synthroid were not yet widely in use. I began by taking desiccated thyroid hormone, I think it was made from the urine of female horses. Times have changed!

@CJC Natural Dessicated Thyroid hormone is still available.  Armour Thyroid is dessicated pig's thyroid.  The adantage is supposedly that you get all the T's, not just T-3 that most doctors base their decisions on.  Synthroid and Levothyroxine is only T-3, which has worked for me for years, but some people do better on an NDT.  A lot of insurances will no longer pay for Natural Dessicated Thyroid (NDT) for whatever reason.

Honored Contributor

@Catch71 wrote:

@gidgetgh 

Interesting, I was told wait 30 minutes. Take it first thing in the morning then I set the oen timer for 30 minutes so I don't have to wait a minute longer than I have to!

Very hard when  you want your coffee so bad!

@Catch71 - I was told to wait an hour before eating so I take it as early in the morning as possible.  As I mentioned, sometimes 4 AM!

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Respected Contributor

i take a very low dose (37.5 mcg)  of levo in the morning, wait for my coffee to brew and have my coffee black. sometimes i have a biscotti w my coffee,  i eat yogurt 2-3 hours later or skip breakfast and have lunch.

15 yrs ago i used to take levo at night but if you take it at night you should not take other meds with it. i have nightime meds some of which are XR which means they are coated.

w labwork my numbers are right in the middle

Trusted Contributor

I'm bad I take it in the morning with coffee

Esteemed Contributor

I take my Levoxyl at night. My stomach isn't full because I try not to eat after 6-7 pm and I take the medication at 10pm. If I had to wait an hour or two before breakfast I'd wind up watching the clock and worrying about sleeping in.

Regular Contributor

The instructions clearly steal take it in the morning on an empty stomach.

Super Contributor

Over the past 30 years, I've taken Synthroid and Levothyroxine (generic of Synthroid).  I'm strictly on Synthroid now but directions for both are take in the morning on an empty stomach with a little water and wait before eating for 30 - 60 min.  Directions also say to drink plenty of water when on this medication.