Regular Contributor

Levothyroxine Morning or Night

I have started to take levothyroxine. I have been taking it in the moring before breakfast. I read that some people take it at night before going to bed. I think I would like taking this at night  because some days I don't feel like waiting the hour before having my morning cup of coffee. I am going to ask my doctor about this at my next visit, but I thought I check to see if anyone here takes levothyroxind at night. Thank you.

Respected Contributor

Re: Levothyroxine Morning or Night

@joann1218  My son takes it at night for the very reason you mention.

I would give everything I own just to have you back again.......David Gates of Bread
Honored Contributor

I have taken mine after dinner with doc's approval for 20 years.  The real point is to be consistent.  A friend suggested trying the morning routine before eating.  Lasted about two days, I don't move until I'e had my coffee.  

Honored Contributor

@joann1218    I have taken Levothyroxine for many years.  I always take it in the morning first thing with a full glass of water.  I eat breakfast within 30 minutes of taking it, per my doctor's directions.  I have never taken it at night.

"Faith, Hope, Love; the greatest of these is Love." ~The Silver Fox~
Honored Contributor

I take brand name Synthroid.  I take it in the morning, at least one hour before I eat.

I've been known to take it in the middle of the night.  Like if I wake up at 4:00 to go to the restroom, I will take it then.  This morning I took it at 6:10.  

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

It needs to be taken on an empty stomach, so either first thing in the morning and wait to eat or don't eat within at least 4 hours of taking your medication.  Also need to avoid taking Calcium supplements within 4 hours of taking it.  Calcium and soy interferes with the absorption of the medicine.  There is a lot of soy hidden in foods.  Coffee has also been shown to interfere with the absorption, but 30 minutes is a sufficient amount of time to wait.

Honored Contributor

Per doc's orders for years, I take it first thing when I wake up with a full glass of water, as instructed. I then wait 30-45 minute to eat. This must be taken on an empty stomach.

Honored Contributor

I took it in the morning for many years when I worked.  I would take it first thing, get dressed and grab something before or on the way to work, or take something in with me.

After I retired, I sleep later and don't want to wait or not have cereal and milk with breakfast.  SO I switched to night--I go to bed about midnight.

I feel better and have done better on the nightime routing, but that's just me.  I take the generic version.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I have been taking it for years, I take it in the morning with a bottle of water and my morning coffee.  I eat breafast much later in the morning.  I did ask my endocrinologist about the coffee and he said there had been studies about taking it with coffee and the way I drink my coffee is ok.  I use a splash of non-dairy creamer and a packet of Splenda.  I take my calcium at night so I can't take the levothyroxine at night. 

Esteemed Contributor

I have taken it for many years, and I took it at night for the same reason.  Now, I take it in the morning, no idea why I switched, but I take it and then eat breakfast.  I have never had a problem either way.  I never wait to eat after taking it unless I just planned a later breakfast.

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!