Re: Lessons Learned in Life:

ae90ed9b7e41ffa977476713d4f7e658.jpg

Honored Contributor

16B071F5-0B53-4D08-9461-8EBB48EE62B8.jpeg

~H~
Honored Contributor

"A young couple moves into a new neighborhood.  The next morning while they are eating breakfast, the young woman sees her neighbor hanging the wash outside. "That laundry is not very clean; she doesn't know how to wash correctly.  Perhaps she needs better laundry soap."

Her husband looks on, remaining silent.

Every time her neighbor hangs her wash to dry, the young woman makes the same comments.   Her husband observes, but says nothing.

A month later, the woman is surprised to see a nice clean wash on the line and says to her husband: "Look, she's finally learned how to wash correctly.  I wonder who taught her this?"

The husband replies, "I got up early this morning and cleaned our windows."

And so it is with life... what we see when watching others depends on the clarity of the window through which we look."

(By the way, perhaps it goes without saying but this doesn't have to be gender-specific.   Also, I don't find a good source, but I originally found this "parable" on the Praying for Grace blog.)

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

susie/sallyimage           

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Honored Contributor

Honored Contributor

@Hooty wrote:

@Hooty,  That reminds me of the wisdom that says, "You don't have to attend every argument to which you are invited."   I don't see, with a quick search, the origins of that but still I think it's good advice and something I'm trying to teach myself.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

C814371C-CC48-40DF-8FF0-503B3ECD8F18.jpeg

Honored Contributor

Image may contain: text

Honored Contributor

Image may contain: sky and text

Respected Contributor

Tell those you love that you love them.  Don't think they already know.  My parents never said they loved me, but I assumed they did because I was well cared for.  It would have been wonderful to have heard those words from them.  Years after my dear dad died, I was getting ready to get off the phone with my mother and I said "love you".  Much to my surprise, she repeated "love you".  Wow!  When I'm saying goodbye to my children on the phone or in person, I tell them I love  them.  I want them to remember that in case it's the last thing they hear from me.