Esteemed Contributor

Re: Leasing a Vehicle vs Purchasing

[ Edited ]

@aubnwa01 wrote:

I bought a new 2017 Subaru Forester last year & used Costco's Auto Buying Service & it was the most hassle-free car buying experience I've ever had.   I had to special order the car, because I wanted a certain color interior (I live in the desert SW & no way did I want a black leather interior) & I ordered the car the last part of Sept. after the salesperson at the dealership checked the whole of the US for the interior & exterior colors (Sepia Bronze Metallic with a Saddle Brown leather interior) I wanted & no dealer in the country had one unsold on their lot.  They gave me a delivery date of Jan. 2017, but my new car arrived a week before Christmas & I picked it up a day later after they'd gotten the windows tinted.  I traded in a 14½ year old Forester & the whole transaction was so stress free it amazed me.

I used Costco's auto buying program for my last 2 purchases- both Subaru Foresters. Woman Very Happy I  negotiated a bit  even then, plus got a few extras! I go  to dealerships at the end of the month and they want to move vehicles. And especially late summer/early fall- they really want to move them even more since the new year cars are coming to the dealership soon.

Interesting thing- for the same car with the same features (I wanted basic -not even a roof rack) I got different Costco prices. So it was very helpful going to several dealerships to work with the  quotes- some places even tried to tell me the manufacturer  financing offer wasn't available for a Costco price.I got Costco on the phone and the rep straigtened them out right away! 

Dealerships should never discount a single woman walking into their showroom!! 

Valued Contributor

Agreed, those 0 percent offers are incentives by the manufacturer not the individual dealerships.  I do suggest you do not let a dealer sell you a payment but decide what you want and have them tell you the options you have.  You can than evaluate the outright cash prices, interest rates through the finance companies they deal with or your lease option or your own bank who often offers a competitive rate.  I would never be presssured to purchase on the spot!  Too often dealerships turn you over to an f&i dept. and they are a separte profit entity.  If they are upfront they will give you the current promotions and offers independent of the price you have negotiated.  

I have leased in the past but it was because of a promo being offered that made it a no brainer.  We have recently been looking and based on our mileage and the length of time we keep a car (appr. 3 years). It is still coming out slightly better to purchase.  I am also not pressured to make a decision at a specific time because my lease is up.

Respected Contributor

@Ibby114 wrote:

@aubnwa01 wrote:

I bought a new 2017 Subaru Forester last year & used Costco's Auto Buying Service & it was the most hassle-free car buying experience I've ever had.   I had to special order the car, because I wanted a certain color interior (I live in the desert SW & no way did I want a black leather interior) & I ordered the car the last part of Sept. after the salesperson at the dealership checked the whole of the US for the interior & exterior colors (Sepia Bronze Metallic with a Saddle Brown leather interior) I wanted & no dealer in the country had one unsold on their lot.  They gave me a delivery date of Jan. 2017, but my new car arrived a week before Christmas & I picked it up a day later after they'd gotten the windows tinted.  I traded in a 14½ year old Forester & the whole transaction was so stress free it amazed me.

I used Costco's auto buying program for my last 2 purchases- both Subaru Foresters. Woman Very Happy I  negotiated a bit  even then, plus got a few extras! I go  to dealerships at the end of the month and they want to move vehicles. And especially late summer/early fall- they really want to move them even more since the new year cars are coming to the dealership soon.

Interesting thing- for the same car with the same features (I wanted basic -not even a roof rack) I got different Costco prices. So it was very helpful going to several dealerships to work with the  quotes- some places even tried to tell me the manufacturer  financing offer wasn't available for a Costco price.I got Costco on the phone and the rep straigtened them out right away! 

I probably had a little less leverage, since I wasn't buying a car already sitting on the lot & was special ordering one with what I wanted on it, plus there's only one Subaru dealer in town.  Costco didn't give me any pricing, they just put me in touch with the salesfolks at the Subaru dealership who were trained for the Costco transactions.  My salesperson was a female & was great to deal with.  I had told her that I wanted to see the exterior color in person before I ordered the car, which was difficult since there weren't any on the lot, because it's a new color combo & was backordered everywhere, so she called me when they had one come in that someone else had ordered & was sitting in the back lot with the window tint curing before its new owner took delivery.  I did my test drive in another Forester Touring that was a different exterior color (dark gray) but had the Saddle Brown leather interior, so I got to see what I was buying both inside & out, just not on the same car!

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@aubnwa01 wrote:

@Ibby114 wrote:

@aubnwa01 wrote:

I probably had a little less leverage, since I wasn't buying a car already sitting on the lot & was special ordering one with what I wanted on it, plus there's only one Subaru dealer in town.  Costco didn't give me any pricing, they just put me in touch with the salesfolks at the Subaru dealership who were trained for the Costco transactions.  My salesperson was a female & was great to deal with.  I had told her that I wanted to see the exterior color in person before I ordered the car, which was difficult since there weren't any on the lot, because it's a new color combo & was backordered everywhere, so she called me when they had one come in that someone else had ordered & was sitting in the back lot with the window tint curing before its new owner took delivery.  I did my test drive in another Forester Touring that was a different exterior color (dark gray) but had the Saddle Brown leather interior, so I got to see what I was buying both inside & out, just not on the same car!

@aubnwa01

I loved the bronze shade  you got- the one available had all kinds of bells and whistles (it boosted up price significantly) that I didn't want.  I kept trying to justify it too. But common sense overruled and I took what they had- black.

Maybe next time I'll treat myself - I already decided I want heated seats!!  Woman Very Happy

I can't tell you how many times I approach the wrong car in a parking lot- there are A LOT of black suv's out there!!  Woman LOL The fact that I don't have a roof rack makes it a bit more distinct.

Respected Contributor

@Ibby114 wrote:

@aubnwa01 wrote:

@Ibby114 wrote:

@aubnwa01 wrote:

@aubnwa01

I loved the bronze shade  you got- the one available had all kinds of bells and whistles (it boosted up price significantly) that I didn't want.  I kept trying to justify it too. But common sense overruled and I took what they had- black.

Maybe next time I'll treat myself - I already decided I want heated seats!!  Woman Very Happy

I can't tell you how many times I approach the wrong car in a parking lot- there are A LOT of black suv's out there!!  Woman LOL The fact that I don't have a roof rack makes it a bit more distinct.

My previous Forester was 14½ years old (2003 model year, purchased in June 2002) so I figured I'd get what I wanted!  Mine has those bells & whistles & I'm learning what the bell & whistles mean when they sound off.  When I come out to get in my car, I still have to remind myself that I no longer drive a little silver car & to look for a larger bronzy one!  I thought the roof rack was standard on all Foresters.  I've only owned Subarus since 1986 & it seems like thay all had roof racks & the earlier ones had cross pieces (whatever they're called) where my 2017 has just the rails & not the cross pieces.  I enjoy the heated seats when my back hurts.  The 2017 also has heated steering wheel, which I doubt will see much use since I live in AZ, but I did try it out when we had some chilly days in January.

Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

@aubnwa01

ooooh! a heated steering wheel !!!! I lost a bunch of weight the last couple of years and I get cold. My Subaru doesn't warm up that fast - my sister has heated seats in her car. I didn't know they made heated steering wheels too!

This is my second Forester, my first [2011] was totaled. Woman Mad My son was driving the car and he ended up with a fractured bone in one foot- that was it! That sold me on getting another Forester!

Honored Contributor

Purchase it! 

Respected Contributor

I am the OP, just wanted to stop in and thank everyone for their participation, advise and experiences.

I am going to let my DH make the final decision. He is very adept at car financing.  The monthly payments (whether lease or purchase) will be coming from the MRD of one of his annunities.  I told him from the get go, that was his money to spend as he pleases.

We already test drove two models of the one vehicle (Volvo SUV) he is considering.  I hate to say it,  I was so impressed I was able to over look the high price.  I am generally not comfortable driving SUVs, but that vehicle..all I can say is that I am secretly hoping he selects it.