Trusted Contributor

Learning from LIFE EVENTS.... What did you learn

[ Edited ]

I'm here in Washington DC, and I'm an employee who is under the federal furlough. 

THIS IS NOT A POLITICAL POSTING..... SO PLEASE NO COMMENTS ABOUT politics.... "them", the cat, the dog, him, her, they, my opinion is.... none of that....nothing political please!!!

This posting is about life lessons and what you learned from the experience.  

This experience...taught me to :

1) Learn TO discipline MYSELF from purchasing everything I want.  How many dresses is enough, how many shoes is enough.  What I need is to SAVE MORE and spend LESS!!!

2) Eliminate as much credit card debit as possible. Pay off and CLOSE, not pay off and slowly charge it back UP!!

3) I checked the balance on my mortgage and my NEW GOAL for 2020 is to pay at least 2 extra payments a year so I can retire in 8 years.

Have you had a life lesson involving anything that helped you. 

It could be anything a financial lesson, family relationshiip lesson, death of spouse lesson, home ownership lesson, anything

I'd love to hear from you, I learn so much from the men and ladies on QVC. You just never know how you can help someone else.

Happiness is ALWAYS an inside job,
Don't assign anyone else that much POWER
in your life!!!
Respected Contributor

Re: Learning from LIFE EVENTS.... What did you learn

@Happiness Is Inside JOB.  Great post. 

Honored Contributor

I learned my "life lessons" from my parents.  Keep an emergency fund w/at least enough $$$ to last for 3-6 months.

From my mother on my 16th birthday - put $5 every week in a "rainy day" account.  "Never let the right hand know what the left hand is doing."

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Esteemed Contributor

With age comes Wisdom!

Respected Contributor

Just living and taking notice of all the "events, transactions and business" around me and those I know taught me these same principles a long time ago.  I'm not certain that what I did would work for others.  I've seen some climb their way out of debt and have a nest egg for the first time in their lives only to see them revert to the same bad habits and once again slip down the slide.  

DH and I decided long ago to forego the frivolous and paid off our house in 1/3 the length of the mortgage, paid cash for car and truck, etc.  In other words, if we didn't have the money, we waited until we did.  Sounds simple, but for many it's a foreign concept.

I wish you a speedy recovery and good luck through this "furlough."  

~The only difference between this place and the Titanic is that the Titanic had a band.~
Trusted Contributor

@Mz iMac wrote:

I learned my "life lessons" from my parents.  Keep an emergency fund w/at least enough $$$ to last for 3-6 months.

From my mother on my 16th birthday - put $5 every week in a "rainy day" account.  "Never let the right hand know what the left hand is doing."

GREAT ADVICE....

I think, NO, I KNOW.... I need to curb by QVC shopping. I have not bought anything and I'm hoping I won't REGRESS once we go back to work.

I must report that I don't have 3-6 months funds so I also need to work on that.  THANK GOODNESS, that I have a working husband.  

in your life!!!
Trusted Contributor

@RoughDraft wrote:

Just living and taking notice of all the "events, transactions and business" around me and those I know taught me these same principles a long time ago.  I'm not certain that what I did would work for others.  I've seen some climb their way out of debt and have a nest egg for the first time in their lives only to see them revert to the same bad habits and once again slip down the slide.  

DH and I decided long ago to forego the frivolous and paid off our house in 1/3 the length of the mortgage, paid cash for car and truck, etc.  In other words, if we didn't have the money, we waited until we did.  Sounds simple, but for many it's a foreign concept.

I wish you a speedy recovery and good luck through this "furlough."  

GREAT ADVICE!!!

Thank you, this is a problem I am working on.  Waiting until I have the money, not just charging.  THe flesh is never satisfied.  

in your life!!!
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Happiness Is Inside JOB, your life lessons regarding financial issues are excellent for all of us.

My life lessons at age 70:

1) Always keep a stash of cash of your own. Build it up and keep it to yourself. Some of you will understand for your own reasons.

2) Never assume that you have the perfect marriage unless you actually do.

3) Accept your responsibilities but take time to do the things that make you happy.

4) Eliminate as much credit card debt as you can.

5) Don't buy more than you need in your life.

Contributor

From someone that learned the hardway, dont close your credit cards after you pay them off.  IT WILL LOWER YOUR CREDIT SCORE CONSIDERLY.  Pay them off, use hem once a year n go home n write a check and pay it off.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I learned that my well-being is always best in my own hands.

@Happiness Is Inside JOB , wishing you all the Best & a speedy recovery.

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras