Honored Contributor

Whites are difficult to get white because most of the fabrics today are polyester.  You cannot use chlorine bleach on poly.  Sometimes the fabric has been yellowed by the sun....you can't get that yellow out and grease and oil is almost impossible to remove even with an Oxi product.

Cotton is easy to keep white.  bleach works as does bleaching in the sun.

I have used  automatic dishwasher detergent that is sold to remove oily stains plastic ware by mixing Cascasde Plastic Booster with hot water.  It does help somewhat.  It works better than anything else I have tried. Polyester fabric is plastic.

Sometimes soaking in lemon water helps as well as a vinegar rinse.

The bottom line is polyester does not hold up very well to resist stains and dinginess.

Esteemed Contributor

@ahoymate   I always used to hang clothes out. My grandmother was asked by her neighbor how she got her sheets so white. She  told her she had a wringer washer and hung them and ironed them. (They had her handmade tatting lace on them and smelled like a fresh breeze.)

I live in the woods now and between the trees, birds, smoke and allergies the dryer is the only option. 

I take her advice and sometimes wash a load without any soap. They come out softer.

Honored Contributor

Re: Laundry Detergent

[ Edited ]

Sillee Mee, mentioned last year ,that there was a product that they use in oxy clean, sodium percarbonate, i bought some use on whites, really like it.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Respected Contributor

Back in the day I really did like the powdered laundry soap in a bottle. But I had to give up using it, a fella that I new fixed my washer and told me not to use powder because it doesn't dissolve well enough and it gums up the machine parts. So I change to liquid, I really like" All" Liquid. I was watching a rerun of "Rosanne" and Jackie was using the powdered Detergent in the bottle. Brought back memories.

Honored Contributor

I solved this by buying very few white items.  A couple T shirts for me, socks for DH, that's about it.  All our underwear is colored, dish towels and bath towels are in colors.  White sheets?  Haven't owned a set in the past 40 years.  

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@PINKdogWOOD wrote:

Okay ladies, need your help. Lately as I wash my whites I see they're not as white as I want them to be. They're dingy and I am tired of it. Been trying a lot of different laundry detergents yet haven't landed on any that I like for my whites.

DH does not like detergents with bleach as he tells me it bother him. Well, we each do our laundry so if we need 2 diff ones to use, I don't care.

HELP!!!  Do you use a laundry detergent that you love because it does keep your whites beautiful?  I'm open to your suggestions for sure.

Here are a couple of options.

Add a little baking soda with your detergent for white loads.  1/4 cup for XL loads.  

Use a detergent with oxi-clean in it.

Avoid detergent/fabric softener combination products.  There is less soap in them.

I no longer use the most expensive brands.  I found that Arm & Hammer with oxi-clean cleans the best.

I never use powder detergent.  I once watched a plumber clean packed up powder out of my drain.  Not all of it dissolves.  I use liquid.  I don't use the little packets because of cost and don't always have a full load.

Contributor

@CalminHeart wrote:

@PINKdogWOOD wrote:

Okay ladies, need your help. Lately as I wash my whites I see they're not as white as I want them to be. They're dingy and I am tired of it. Been trying a lot of different laundry detergents yet haven't landed on any that I like for my whites.

DH does not like detergents with bleach as he tells me it bother him. Well, we each do our laundry so if we need 2 diff ones to use, I don't care.

HELP!!!  Do you use a laundry detergent that you love because it does keep your whites beautiful?  I'm open to your suggestions for sure.

Add a little baking soda with your detergent for white loads.  1/4 cup for XL loads.  

Avoid detergent/fabric softener combination products.  There is less soap in them.

I no longer use the most expensive brands.  I found that Arm & Hammer with oxi-clean cleans the best.

I never use powder detergent.  I once watched a plumber clean packed up powder out of my drain.  Not all of it dissolves.  I use liquid.  I don't use the little packets because of cost and don't always have a full load.

Did not know that about powdered detergent. Thanks!

Respected Contributor

@tmiam wrote:

@CalminHeart wrote:

@PINKdogWOOD wrote:

The old types of powdered detergent did clump, but the new ones don't.  They are designed to dissolve in any water temp.  The more natural ones like Nellies, or the B and N goat milk detergent use only a tablespoon and dissolve quickly.

Contributor

@brandiwine wrote:

@tmiam wrote:

@CalminHeart wrote:

@PINKdogWOOD wrote:

The old types of powdered detergent did clump, but the new ones don't.  They are designed to dissolve in any water temp.  The more natural ones like Nellies, or the B and N goat milk detergent use only a tablespoon and dissolve quickly.

Thanks @brandiwine !

Honored Contributor
I buy only white towels, washcloths, and sheets for our master bedroom. Saves having to sort colors and I add Clorox to the load periodically and never have a problem with dinginess or stains either. I do like oxiclean for stains on other things.