Honored Contributor

I watched a PBS show, highlighting John Denver.  Made me weepy-sad, hearing his beautiful voice and knowing what happened to him. 

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Respected Contributor

Loved his music!!  Saw him every time he came to Dallas in the 70s.  His concerts were almost a religious experience.  There was no exotic electronic manipulation of his voice on his albums.  His voice was pure and he was an excellent guitar player.  Listening to him right now. 💗💗💗

FAR OUT!

Honored Contributor

Re: LOVE JOHN DENVER MUSIC

[ Edited ]

I think highly of him and love his music. He did address the drinking and some anger issues in his autobiography which I still have in my bookcase. Annie did seem to be the love of his life, and in fact when he died, I sent a sympathy card and they family sent back a lovely handwritten note. I know he has the two adopted children and then had Jesse Belle with his second wife. Gosh, she must be in her late teens by now.

Esteemed Contributor

Thank youTeachRsPet......

I am going to try buy this book. Everything that I have read(from posters) is such a 'jot'; I had no idea, other than Annie was his great 'love'....thinking back, I, too, remember how very sad he was performing at one concert n particularly.I 

I assumed it to be of some other nature, though. 

Ref: to his wife, Annie....I have ALWAYS been mystified of the how and why - pre marriage, a woman can NOT clue in to not knowing whom she is actually going to be spending the rest of her life with,i.e, ...does she feel desperate, alone, marrying someone who is a security-$$$s-, not having self esteem. ?   The reason I brought this up was : IS 'that couple must  have not known each other very well or the friendship never developed at the beginning. I read way too often of so many -here- . Not happy in so many ways. Also, my husband just told me, Denver's plane was an EXPERIMENTING type he chose to try out.  Also, what causes a man/woman to become an alcoholic after they are married...AFTER '''married'''?? This has always been very puzzlingly to me; somewhat like, which came 1st...the chicken or the egg?!!!!! Just have always wondered why that spouse even stays with the other? Sad to have lived, being so unhappy -for so many. I just could not continue on if that were me....

Super Contributor

NAES

If you have a Kindle you can get the book on Amazon pretty cheap. If not they are usually on eBay.

The main problem was he and Annie did not know each other very well before they married. The first time he asked her she turned him down. He was touring colleges always on the road and she was a college student. 

The plane was experimental and he had recently purchased it. The crash was ruled pilot error,not a suicide. He chose not to gas up and due to the positions of the 2 tanks in a plane he was not yet used to he couldn't properly switch from one to the other. He had the plane only 2 weeks. The tank positions were to be changed when he was on tour.  From the DUI reports it seems the heavy drinking started after the second divorce from Cassandra.  

I know, I know way too much about him!!!!

Honored Contributor

Is the book 'Take Me Home'?  I was trying to find the name among the posts but so many of them are mondo-paragraphs and that makes my eyes cross so I couldn't read much of it. 

I want to get this book.  I can't believe i was not even aware that he wrote an autobiography.  d'oh!  Smiley Happy

Super Contributor

chickenbutt

Yes! That's the title. I just looked over on Amazon and they have hardbacks as well as paperbacks pretty cheap. He wrote it right after the divorce from wife #2, which was about 3 years before his death in 1997.  He promoted it a little and then stopped. I read he felt he was a little too hard on some people ( Cassandra and Jerry Weintraub) so he made some apologies and stopped promoting it. It's a great read. There are also audio copies available of him reading it which are great!

Honored Contributor

Thank You!  Smiley Happy  I ordered it.  I will look forward to reading it.  I tend to enjoy autobiographies from famous people of whom I'm a fan.  Smiley Happy

Esteemed Contributor

I always liked John Denver and he left us way too early.  I had a friend who owned a parrot and whenever he heard Annie's Song he would chatter away almost as though he was singing along, it was the cutest thing.

The moving finger writes; And having writ, Moves on: nor all your Piety nor Wit Shall lure it back to cancel half a Line Nor all your Tears Wash out a Word of it. Omar Khayam
Super Contributor

My husband and I love John Denver, have several of his lp record albums, along with most of his cds.  My husband is also interested in aviation and what you stated is closer to the truth than the other posts here.  John Denver did not commit suicide;  it was pilot error.  

My husband explained it to me and if I understood right, he said that the plane John was in was a Long E-Z.  The previous owner had done some modifications on it, because it was difficult to change the tanks as the switch was under the front seat.  He modified it to the back.  That owner's wife and son often flew with him, so they would reach back and switch the tanks for him.  

Two pilots who tested the plane before John bought it,  told John NOT to change tanks by himself when he was flying until he got the switch relocated.  They had begun to spiral when attempting to do it during the test, but thankfully, they were high enough to regain control of the aircraft.  John was only at 300 feet when he crashed.  People that saw him take off, saw him reach toward the back of the plane toward the switch, and that was it.  

He didn't actually lose his pilot's license, but lost his "physical" which was due to his DUIs.   He wasn't legally flying when he crashed.  Sad ending to a very talented man.

"I always have a chair for you in the smallest parlor in the world, to wit, my heart." --Emily Dickinson