Respected Contributor

Re: Know anyone who “turned mean?”

My mom changed over the years due to developing dementia. It was a slow change at first, little things she said and did that were not typical of her kind and loving nature, and made me wonder. 

Someone in their 50s is not too young to start developing dementia. Changes in the brain can start as much as 10 years before diagnosis. 

Valued Contributor

Yes I do. Its a sad state of affairs!

Beckyblu

Valued Contributor

Yes, a guy I worked with was at least okay to work with. He was fussy about the job he did, but that was okay. But, then he became "the boss", and wow did he change! He barked orders, you couldn't find him when you needed a bosses okay, you had better get a certain amount of work done in a certain amount of time, and he played favorites with some employees. Only those that were his "pets" liked working for him. He bacame really nasty to work with. He asked me to assist him in taking something heavy off a shelf, and then didn't give me time to get a grasp on it. He rolled it over my wrist. I still have trouble with that wrist. Don't miss working for him at all.

Respected Contributor

I know this is not exactly what the op means, but.... I see people on Facebook, daily, who attack people they have know their whole life. Over what...... POLITICS!!  It has become very annoying & sad, for me to see these "friends" being so ugly to each other. I mean some comments are downright mean & ugly. 

Respected Contributor

He may be ill. I have had that happen with a few people in my life, and that is what happen to them.

Frequent Contributor

Surgery anesthesia can damage brain cells. Throw in inadequate. O2 during  procedure and that patient  will not be the same.  No one knows exactly how drugs alter consciousness or where it resides, 

Try asking her how she feels or if she notices  a change. perhaps she is afraid to realize she is out of control with her anger,

h

Have seen this in hospitals many times but Drs do not want to admit it !calling it depression instead.  People don,t change so drastically without cause or by choice

Esteemed Contributor

@RedTop wrote:

Yes, my husbands uncle.   You could have a short conversation with him, but never your favorite person to talk with.

He and my husbands aunt seemed to get along well enough, considering he worked away from home all week and was only home on weekends.   Then he retired, and didn’t know what to do with himself.    

The problems started with a lot of anger, and aunt would just stay out of his way and try not to irritate him.  He would flip the breaker to her bedroom so she couldn’t watch TV at night.  Then she would wake up in the night and find him standing beside her bed holding a knife or gun.   She would get up in the morning and find food from the refrigerator dumped on the kitchen floor.   Then she came home from town to find all of her clothes and shoes thrown into the yard, and he was sitting on the porch waiting on her, with a gun in his hand.    She was only able to grab a few things before he started shooting at her, and he actually shot at her vehicle as she drove away.   

Long story short, he got sick, was hospitalized with a serious illness, and while there was diagnosed with advanced Alzheimer’s.  He died within 2 weeks of being diagnosed.  

What a sad story, that woman is lucky to be alive.  It is amazing how an illness can turn a gentle person into someone uncontrollable and mean.  Family members should seek help immediately when that happens.

The moving finger writes; And having writ, Moves on: nor all your Piety nor Wit Shall lure it back to cancel half a Line Nor all your Tears Wash out a Word of it. Omar Khayam
Honored Contributor

I know people who have turned from "mean" to "vile"

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Super Contributor

I have a dear sister who at age 60 turned into a witch after a major weight loss. We all stay away from her now and her targeted family specific drama. 

Honored Contributor

Yes I do and we allowed him to bunk up with us giving him a helping hand, a male friend. ultimitely turned on us/me. Time to go my 'friend'.