Esteemed Contributor

Know anyone who “turned mean?”

Have any of you ever known someone that was once very nice and pleasant turn fundamentally into a “not nice” person? I’ve worked for my boss for 18 years (today is actually my 18-year hire date anniversary!). Up until the last couple of years, he was wonderful! Nice, fun, etc. He has turned into a complete jerk. Everyone thinks so; it’s not just me—-but he’s CEO of the company, so it’s a problem. He’s not old (early 50s), so I don’t think it’s dementia. Has anyone else been around someone who completely changed—in a very negative way?

Honored Contributor

Re: Know anyone who “turned mean?”

my DD.

She was a sweet loving child of mine. Cancer was found 3-4 yrs ago, cancer removed. She changed into someone I don’t recognize any longer. she can be nice at times but turns on you at the drop of a dime. she has taken my head off many times from simple sentences I have said to her. I am afraid to really say anything to her because i don’t know what will cause this explosive temper to appear, she becomes vicious. The way she speaks to her children (my grandkidddies). Wow, nasty names, she has told me she smacks them around  i don’t know if she does that or not. I have never seen her hit the kids.

Honored Contributor

@Goldengate8361-

I was going to say no but then I remembered one principal at a school I worked at.

He was a funny, good person until the last year I worked there.

He was insulting to everyone, very moody, yes mean.

Well, it turned out he had had a back injury and was on narcotics. Then sadly he became addicted.

The entire atmosphere of the school turned from a wonderful place to work, to really unpleasant.

It was sad for him and for all of us. 

I left eventually but he retired shortly afterwards.

I think it seems unusual so something must have happened to your person that turned them into someone they weren't before. 

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

There are medications that some people are given that truly can change their personality...there is a drug called Keppra that is given for seizures...one of its side effects is the "Keppra rage"....my friends husband was put on it about a year ago and he became a monster. Punching holes in wall, angry all the time, my poor friend was terrified....she called the dr and they changed his med...he is his gentle, old self again.
Meds are only one way someone can become mean...we never know what they may be dealing with that we know nothing about at all...an illness, illness of a loved one....financial issues...could be many things....I would change jobs if possible or avoid these people. Perhaps someone has hurt them and they are just hurting others in an attempt to make themselves feel better...

Esteemed Contributor

Could be a medical,  medication or blood sugar problem. Or there coud be something going on at home. Be careful to be charitable and, if appropriat, ask if everything is ok.

Honored Contributor

Yes. Aside from illness, dementia, and medications already mentioned... a death in the family, trauma/post traumatic stress.
Respected Contributor

Yes, my Sister. She plays the victim card constantly (while everything has been a result of her own decisions). The way she sees it, life has been unfair to her, and she deserves better.  She is bitter and can be very nasty-  I keep my expectations low with her... Very sad, my only sibling.

Respected Contributor

@viva923 wrote:

my DD.

She was a sweet loving child of mine. Cancer was found 3-4 yrs ago, cancer removed. She changed into someone I don’t recognize any longer. she can be nice at times but turns on you at the drop of a dime. she has taken my head off many times from simple sentences I have said to her. I am afraid to really say anything to her because i don’t know what will cause this explosive temper to appear, she becomes vicious. The way she speaks to her children (my grandkidddies). Wow, nasty names, she has told me she smacks them around  i don’t know if she does that or not. I have never seen her hit the kids.

I’m sorry your daughter has cancer but I’m more sorry for how she treats her children. Her cancer isn’t by choice but she is choosing to abuse her children. Heart breaking 

Trusted Contributor

There is a condition called early onset Alzheimers.  It affects people under 65 years old.  

Honored Contributor

Yes, my husbands uncle.   You could have a short conversation with him, but never your favorite person to talk with.

He and my husbands aunt seemed to get along well enough, considering he worked away from home all week and was only home on weekends.   Then he retired, and didn’t know what to do with himself.    

The problems started with a lot of anger, and aunt would just stay out of his way and try not to irritate him.  He would flip the breaker to her bedroom so she couldn’t watch TV at night.  Then she would wake up in the night and find him standing beside her bed holding a knife or gun.   She would get up in the morning and find food from the refrigerator dumped on the kitchen floor.   Then she came home from town to find all of her clothes and shoes thrown into the yard, and he was sitting on the porch waiting on her, with a gun in his hand.    She was only able to grab a few things before he started shooting at her, and he actually shot at her vehicle as she drove away.   

Long story short, he got sick, was hospitalized with a serious illness, and while there was diagnosed with advanced Alzheimer’s.  He died within 2 weeks of being diagnosed.