Honored Contributor

@PamfromCT 

He raced sailboats for many years, he was a judge for the Olypics here in 1996, he was so excited to be chosen as there are many sailing clubs here, being surrounded by water, and not far from the ocean.

Knowing him, he never replenished the SPF, although he used the highest one available at that time.

His immune system is also compromised with Crohn's disease, making it easier for the skin cancer to sneak in.

Now I make sure he uses SPF often and wears long pants and sleeves to do yard work!

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Honored Contributor

@KingstonsMom,

Gosh you have been through a lot and that must have been frightening. I hope you will get better every day and your new doctor will give you the best care!

I bet Kingston missed y!ou and was so glad to see you when you got home. Im glad you posted and that you are home

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Honored Contributor

@KingstonsMom   That's unbelievable that a doctor wouldn't require his patients to be seen every year before refilling prescriptions.  I wonder if that's what he does with all his Medicare patients. 

I'm so glad you went into the hospital but sorry you had to stay for eight days.  Will these health issues ever improve for you?  I do hope so.  

I know your husband and Kingston were very glad to have you back home!  It's nice to have you back on the Boards, too. 

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

@KingstonsMom     I'm so relieved you checked in and are (sort of) okay.  Sounds like you've had a rough time.  I hope you're on the road to complete recovery.  It'll undoubtedly take time.

Now you have me alarmed because I've taken  Hydrochlorothiazide for quite a few years.  I've always religiously eaten a banana to replenish potassium but lately have slacked off, sick of them.  I guess I'd better be more conscientious.  My doctor doesn't think the pills are very effective or their effectiveness is inconsistent.

I guess ill go eat a banana or two.  Thanks for relating your story and keep in touch when you feel like it.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

Re: KingstonsMom

[ Edited ]

@NickNack wrote:

@KingstonsMom   That's unbelievable that a doctor wouldn't require his patients to be seen every year before refilling prescriptions.  I wonder if that's what he does with all his Medicare patients. 

I'm so glad you went into the hospital but sorry you had to stay for eight days.  Will these health issues ever improve for you?  I do hope so.  

I know your husband and Kingston were very glad to have you back home!  It's nice to have you back on the Boards, too. 

@NickNack 

The periods of 'spacing out' and being 'confused' are not as often, slowly but surely.

But it's not likely that the venous insufficiency will change though. The only remedy for that is to strip those 2 veins out surgically.

That's what smoking for 53 years and letting your potassium/magnesium get depleted does for ya'.....play stupid games, win stupid prizes.

Thank you for the "welcome back", you're always so kind to everyone!

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Respected Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

@KingstonsMom     I'm so relieved you checked in and are (sort of) okay.  Sounds like you've had a rough time.  I hope you're on the road to complete recovery.  It'll undoubtedly take time.

Now you have me alarmed because I've taken  Hydrochlorothiazide for quite a few years.  I've always religiously eaten a banana to replenish potassium but lately have slacked off, sick of them.  I guess I'd better be more conscientious.  My doctor doesn't think the pills are very effective or their effectiveness is inconsistent.

I guess ill go eat a banana or two.  Thanks for relating your story and keep in touch when you feel like it.

@Kachina624 

Sounds confusing that your Dr doesn't think the pills are effective, if they're prescribed for high blood pressure, that's dangerous if they're not working.

Glad you know to have your potassium levels checked & that a banana or two is not a replacement for potassium supplements. I take hydrochlorothiazide and have my potassium levels checked every few months. We've adjusted the potassium supplement a couple times based on the tests. 

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 

I hear ya', I get tired of eating the same thing every day, but it really does help your potassium /magnesium levels stay up, there's a difference in taking them orally and ingesting them thru your body.

Think putting them in cereal, on oatmeal, make banana bread, get your favorite ice cream and make banana splits!

Just get that banana in your tummy!

Honored Contributor

@on the bay wrote:

@KingstonsMom,

Gosh you have been through a lot and that must have been frightening. I hope you will get better every day and your new doctor will give you the best care!

I bet Kingston missed y!ou and was so glad to see you when you got home. Im glad you posted and that you are home

@on the bay 

LOL! I'm not so sure Kingston was that glad I came home....he loves sleeping in my waterbed.....alone!

He will not get in my bed when I'm in it and if he's in it and I lay down beside him to love on him, he pushes me off the bed with his paws.....THUMP!

Respected Contributor

@KingstonsMom Glad you are doing better and thank you for the info on the Hydrochlorothiazide as I am also taking it.  Will def increase my banana intake. 

Honored Contributor

@KingstonsMom wrote:

@on the bay wrote:

@KingstonsMom,

@on the bay 

LOL! I'm not so sure Kingston was that glad I came home....he loves sleeping in my waterbed.....alone!

He will not get in my bed when I'm in it and if he's in it and I lay down beside him to love on him, he pushes me off the bed with his paws.....THUMP!

@KingstonsMom,

Lol!

That is too funny. It reminds me of sleeping with all 3 of ours and our biggest boy over 100lbs would keep inching me over until I had about 1 inch, not exaggerating, left on the bed, his big paws stretched out into my side.😄

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"