Esteemed Contributor

Re: Kind of attacked at work, need help and opinions

[ Edited ]

A person shouldn't be reported to the BON for what they *might* do; they should be reported for what they have done.

It is a huge stretch to ASSUME that, because this nurse made a mark on this person's forehead, that she will abuse a patient sometime in the future.

That is patently absurd.

Anyway, if the OP wants to report it to the BON, she should probably go ahead; nothing will happen.......I'd love to hear the other side of this story LOL......

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Yorkie,

Everyone has an opinion.   As stated before, I stand by mine.

CHEERS ~ 

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Honored Contributor

I couldn't believe what I read.  Unbelievable unprofessionalism from Sharpie Nurse.  I'm not sure what would prompt that kind of behavior.  If she were an Entry Clerk/Secretary then jealousy might have been a factor (because of your promotion), but she wasn't. After 14 months there should have been some attachment between co-workers, but sometimes not.  I think this was bizarre behavior and should have been reported, as you did.  Having written this down and sent via email, there is now a footprint of a complaint.  I'm sure that's why she tried to apologize so profusely.

My own reaction would have probably gotten me fired....  

So I think you did great!  As others have said, move on to your new job and enjoy the fact that you don't have to deal with her anymore (I hope)....  Woman Wink

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Super Contributor

Drop It Now!  I know it was shocking and wrong behavior, but she has apologized.

Don't put anything else in writing.  You may need HR for a much bigger issue sometime in the future.  If another manager told you to forget it and sweep it under the rug, it could be assumed that those  you reported this to don't want to deal with it anymore.

Consider what you want from this.  You have a new promotion and a different job.  Enjoy it.  You've received an apology.  What more are you expecting?  You probably aren't going to get any more satisfaction from this. 

Esteemed Contributor

I was a nurse for 50 years and in a management position most of my career.  I don't know 2 sides of the story.  If the OP moved to someone to hug her or announced she was going to hug a person, the RN could simply state she was uncomfortable with it.  Patient safety is my concern and the nurse's behavior was beyond normal, outlandish and unprofessional.  I am sorry, all hospitals have ombudsman with anti retaliation policies.  I would make an appointment and report this really immature and stupid behavior and that of the witness and supervisors.  I made life and death decisions and worked with professional nurses who I depended on to react in the same way.  Would you really want a nurse taking care of you in the ER that marked a co-worker's forehead with a marker?  It is even too stupid to repeat.  Geez.  If she worked for me she would be out on her behind. She should not be allowed near patients And her behavior suggests she is unstable.  What if a patient wanted to hug her in thanks, would she pull out a sharpie.  You don't just forget it when you deal with patient's lives.  It is not the sharpie mark but the behavior.

Honored Contributor

@Greenhouse wrote:

I was a nurse for 50 years and in a management position most of my career.  I don't know 2 sides of the story.  If the OP moved to someone to hug her or announced she was going to hug a person, the RN could simply state she was uncomfortable with it.  Patient safety is my concern and the nurse's behavior was beyond normal, outlandish and unprofessional.  I am sorry, all hospitals have ombudsman with anti retaliation policies.  I would make an appointment and report this really immature and stupid behavior and that of the witness and supervisors.  I made life and death decisions and worked with professional nurses who I depended on to react in the same way.  Would you really want a nurse taking care of you in the ER that marked a co-worker's forehead with a marker?  It is even too stupid to repeat.  Geez.  If she worked for me she would be out on her behind. She should not be allowed near patients And her behavior suggests she is unstable.  What if a patient wanted to hug her in thanks, would she pull out a sharpie.  You don't just forget it when you deal with patient's lives.  It is not the sharpie mark but the behavior.

I was thinking about where OP would go for medical treatment in her city ...... and if she decides to take this incident further,  she had better NEVER get treatment in that hospital.

Sharpie Nurse just might have more friends than you realize!

Honored Contributor

@TamiT28

Any regrets about posting this yet?  (lol)

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Honored Contributor

LOL

Nothing tickles me more than when the OP has long since moved on but we are still working through the issues.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Esteemed Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@Greenhouse wrote:

I was thinking about where OP would go for medical treatment in her city ...... and if she decides to take this incident further,  she had better NEVER get treatment in that hospital.

Sharpie Nurse just might have more friends than you realize!

There are anti retaliation measures and Sharpie Nurse would not be working for me....just outlandish behavior

Trusted Contributor

@Stray

ITA with everything you've said.  You have common sense and integrity. 😊