Respected Contributor

Re: Kind of attacked at work, need help and opinions

@Tissyanne wrote:

For those saying jealousy was not involved are wrong in my opinion. Women are sometimes jealous of other women for reasons other than position in the workforce. Lots of reasons. I agree that the OP needs to move on, but the RN was wrong for doing what she did. 

They aren't friends, the only thing they have in common is that they worked in the same department.  They aren't even peers, one is nurse and the others is a secretary.   Let's get real here; jealousy was not a factor in the incident.  I missed the "hugging" thing when I first responded.  It appears that the department the women work for is somewhat unprofessional and loosey-goosey.  I don't think  the situation was quite what I thought it was now that I read the "hugs" part.  Now, I think it might just have been a practical joke that went terribly, terribly wrong.   

Trusted Contributor

If nurse Ratched reacted because she thought being asked for a hug was inappropriate, her behavior back was disproportionate 'retaliation' in my book.

I Discovered That I Can Be Myself Without the Sky Falling In
Honored Contributor

I can't believe this post is still active, but evidently it has touched a nerve with a lot of  people. Just wondering if this RN is so bold to treat her coworker like this no matter what her status be, what is she like behind closed doors. I don't believe RN's or doc'a should get a pass just because their jobs are intense. They know what they signed up for and every one around them should expect nothing but professionalism. I have an idea the RN wishes she would have chosen the secretaries path and may be jealous that this gal is moving on and up and can you imagine, she's only a secretary!

Frequent Contributor

I think we can all agree that the Sharpie nurse was in the wrong. That was over the top. But on the other hand, I don't get all the hugging in a workplace. I don't want to hug anyone at work, and I would back away if a casual co-worker wanted to hug. I also don't want to tell them my business, hear their life story or complaints, party with them, or drink with them. Don't get me wrong I am a friendly person but nobody needs to touch me at work. The OP mentioned that she did scheduling for the nurses, that is always a tough job because people get mad if they don't like the schedule you give them. Just a thought about why the nurse was so hostile. I would drop it at this point, OP did all the right things, and quit hugging everybody. JMHO
Honored Contributor

This was a one time incident with a nurse with whom the O P will no longer be working. What was her purpose in reporting it? Suppose in the future she has a complaint, one that is ongoing with a coworker she works with daily? Complaint number two will label her a malcontent and a poor team player.

Esteemed Contributor

@Drythe wrote:

IMO   A person with such poor impulse control and limited boundaries should probably not be a nurse.  

I would forward a copy of all correspondence to date to the Director of Nursing, the Nurse Manager, and Human Resources.  If you receive no response then it should go to the President and / or CEO.

It is a reportable offence in terms of her Nursing License and should be reported by her supervisor to the State Nursing Board.

I have NO tolerance for this behavior from someone who will come in contact with compromised patients who have little or no defence.  Suppose one of them 'sets her off'?   Out of concern for patient care this behavior should be addressed.

Your response reminded me of an incident several years ago with my grandmother(90 yrs old).......She had broken her arm and was in alot of pain.  A nurse was trying to move her in the bed and my grandmother raised her arm to hit her and the nurse slapped her.

We reported the incident to the Head of Nursing and we were told that this wasn't the first incident with this woman. The next day another Nurse told us that she was glad we reported it. Always had WONDERFUL care from the Nurses when she was in the hospital......

Esteemed Contributor

@Adelina wrote:

@YorkieonmyPillow wrote:

@Drythe wrote:

IMO   A person with such poor impulse control and limited boundaries should probably not be a nurse.  

I would forward a copy of all correspondence to date to the Director of Nursing, the Nurse Manager, and Human Resources.  If you receive no response then it should go to the President and / or CEO.

It is a reportable offence in terms of her Nursing License and should be reported by her supervisor to the State Nursing Board.

I have NO tolerance for this behavior from someone who will come in contact with compromised patients who have little or no defence.  Suppose one of them 'sets her off'?   Out of concern for patient care this behavior should be addressed.

You must be kidding.

Do something like this over such a trivial matter and you will eventually be out of there.

And to report it to the Nursing Board?

OMG, I'm speechless.

You don't have to work with her anymore. Move on.

......and this is very sad, if true........ People used to think that unwanted advances were trivial as well. IMO, the line needs to be drawn boldly if crossing it is deemed trivial.

The punishment should fit the crime!

It's been reported to HR - the woman APOLOGIZED - and the OP is going to another department.

To suggest someone should lose their professional license over this is absurd.

You don't report people to the BON for something of this nature.

You report them for stealing drugs, abusing patients, etc. Not some sort of workplace incident like this!

Esteemed Contributor

@Nataliesgramma wrote:

@Drythe wrote:

Your response reminded me of an incident several years ago with my grandmother(90 yrs old).......She had broken her arm and was in alot of pain.  A nurse was trying to move her in the bed and my grandmother raised her arm to hit her and the nurse slapped her.

We reported the incident to the Head of Nursing and we were told that this wasn't the first incident with this woman. The next day another Nurse told us that she was glad we reported it. Always had WONDERFUL care from the Nurses when she was in the hospital......

Slapping a patient is much more serious, and certainly deserving a report to the Head of Nursing, than this incident! That is patient abuse.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@TamiT28 What do you want done with this employee? Do you want her to be FIRED because she made a mark on your forehead?

You initiated the close contact.

Maybe it was just a joke to her, if she just got through with a twelve-hour shift she probably didn't even realize what she was doing. I've been so tired from doing a twelve-hour night shift that I was SEEING DOUBLE as I was trying to drive home!

ETA: what were your damages? Didn't you say you wiped the mark off?

It sounds like the nurse hurt your feelings (and I don't blame you for that), but to report someone to the BON over a matter like this is highly inappropriate.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

YorkieonmyPillow,

To suggest someone should lose their professional license over this is absurd.

You don't report people to the BON for something of this nature.

You report them for stealing drugs, abusing patients, etc. Not some sort of workplace incident like this!

YorkieonmyPillow,

It seems that this has touched a nerve.

Never-the-less, I stand by my view.  I have been deeply involved in all levels of Health Care for many years.  I know that the actions people allow themselves to take in public are just a shadow of the freedoms they give themselves when they think no one will see.

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras