Esteemed Contributor

Re: Kind of attacked at work, need help and opinions

Why would she do this??? That would upset me too!

Don't cry for a man who's left you--the next one may fall for your smile.
-- Mae West
Honored Contributor

If I had to guess, I would think the coworker meant to draw a star on the complainant's forehead. Not a good idea but I doubt she was jealous or meant harm. 

It the sort of foolishness that is sometimes found in stressful work environments. Since the OP is a relatively new employee, she can't know what has gone on before, what may seem odd but is generally accepted. 

I believe she made a mistake in reporting it to anyone. She looks like a tattler and poor sport.

Honored Contributor

I can't believe some of these answers.  But then I haven't been in a workplace for eleven years.

What she did to you was wrong.

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

Accept your co-worker's apology, let the incident drop, and move on with your new job.

It's impossible for me to know why the nurse at the desk marked on your forehead.  Is she mentally unstable, does she resent you for your promotion or other reasons, was she having a bad day and took it out on you, or was it a moment of over-the-top goofiness gone awry?  Who knows?  What she did was unfortunate and maybe wrong, but it seems to have been an odd, isolated incident, and you were not harmed or injured. I don't consider this worth making into a major employee abuse action......and being (as you put it) "kind of attacked" isn't strong grounds for such an action.

Let it ride, and best of luck with your new position.  And keep an eye on this woman if you ever have to work with her again.

Trusted Contributor

The way workplace incidents go, I think it should require a journey to HR to find out EXACTLY what is BULLYING, ATTACKING, HARASSMENT.  What Sharpie did was completely WRONG . OP says she asked FIRST about hugs, a resounding NO from either one or both of the nurses should have been sufficient.  OP is not a tattletale she reported what she felt was an attack against her person and it should have reulted in a sitdown

with the women involved.        

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!

Esteemed Contributor

@Moonchilde wrote:

My 2 cents - I have worked in major hospitals for 46 years. The work culture in the ER and OR (and probably ICU) is unto itself. You either fit in or you don't. You are either "one of them" or you're not. Life in those areas, if you are not a part of the group (not decided by you), can be brutal. If you're not in, you're often very out.

This sounds to me like you have not been accepted and have never realized it. It sounds as if these folks just don't like you. 

Is it okay, what the woman did? No. But it could happen again, in a different area/setting, depending on the OP. First of all - hands off. No touch-feely, no hugs, etc. unless you are *positive* the recipient is okay with it.  Where I am employed, by their HR rules, simply putting a hand on someone's shoulder, if they don't want you to, is harassment. But you don't have a leg to stand on because of your hug comment.

Yes, managers and supervisors in these areas are protective of staff. Yes they will blow it off. Yes, she would get a black mark in her HR file if you took it to the top - but thereafter, no department would welcome you, and you'd need to be okay with that. Fair or right, no - but it is what it is.

For the people claiming there is jealousy involved - um...no. RNs in ERs *choose* their work. They would not want a promotion "out." And RNs would not be "jealous" of non-RNs.

moonchilde is correct about this. Medical in general, nursing, records, billing, whatever can be a snake pit. One of the reasons I got out.

Be nice, be friendly, but always remember, your co-workers are not your friends ever. Above all keep your personal life to yourself. Never, ever share much more than your marital status and if you have kids, grand kids, etc. You'll have to find a way to gracefully avoid personal questions, because some will really push. They are digging for ammunition. Oh, and never give advice..you will regret it.

I am not a paranoid person and I  know this may sound borderline paranoid, but believe me, it's the truth.

It's God's job to judge the terrorists. It's our mission to arrange the meeting. U.S. Marines
Honored Contributor

Most certainly the nurse was inappropriate in marking your forehead with a black marker. Why?  Who knows?   However, you would do well to rise above it, ignore her obnoxious behavior and move on. 

After all, it is you who received the promotion which means your new boss saw excellent skills and work ethics in your current job.  So, on Monday report to your new assignment, make new friends, and enjoy your new responsibilities.  Thankfully, it's in a different department. 

"Faith, Hope, Love; the greatest of these is Love." ~The Silver Fox~
Honored Contributor

I  worked as a ward clerk  in a med/surg dept. for many years. I must say the RN's behavior always surprised me. Those women were some of the most unstable and mean people I have ever seen, I could not believe how back biting and devious they could be. One thing though, in my region RN's are a dime a dozen and if they got caught they were gone.

Respected Contributor

Tami, IMO you did the right thing.  I suggest that you create a file folder (keep it in your home) and put in there anything in writing you have about this incident.

I may be wrong, but I think what she did was a physical assault.

I agree with the posters who said to put it behind you and enjoy your new position.  Congratulations on your promotion.  That says a lot about you as an employee.

Honored Contributor

Tami, I can't imagne someone doing what your coworker did to you.  I've worked in hospitals, too, and never experienced anything like this.

I think you've received a lot of good advice here, and most of it acknowledged how weird the incident was, but thankfully, you'll never work with this woman again.

In addition, I'd like to add that you can be sure of the fact that you would never treat anyone like that.  I don't like what she did, but in some ways, I feel sorry for her....maybe you never got to know her too well, but I'd bet the people who do know her very well, don't have a lot of respect for her.