Super Contributor

Kind of attacked at work, need help and opinions

[ Edited ]

I am a secretary who works in the ER department at the largest local hospital. I do not work with patients, I am behind the scenes typing letters for doctors, tracking RN licenses and certifications, entering RN schedules into a database. I have worked at this job for 14 months.

A few weeks ago, I received a promotion to a higher level secretarial position in a different department. Monday will be my first day at the new job. Yesterday afternoon I walked up to the ER Charge Desk where 2 Nursing Supervisors/Charge RN's were sitting. I told them I wanted to give them each a good-bye hug. One of the women stood up and unbeknownst to me she had a black Expo marker in one of her hands. She proceeded to press the marker very hard on my forehead and scribble a large black spot while I was backing up trying to get away (but I only backed up into a large copy machine so I could not escape). I was saying "Ouch, stop, that really hurts." The other nurse just watched as this all happened. I did ask the nurse who was watching if I really did have a black spot on my forehead to which she replied "Yes, it looks like you have gone to Ash Wednesday services." I turned around and squirted some liquid hand sanitizer on my hand and wiped off my forehead and left the area.

About 15 minutes later, I found  my supervisor (he is the Director of the department, he was with the ER Nursing Manager) and told them both what had happened. They looked at me as though I was not telling the truth and neither one of them offered a way for me to report the incident. I had to ask them if they wanted me to write anything down and he told me to email him the story. I went back to my desk and actually sent the email to both of them.

The nurse who scribbled on my face sent me multiple text and phone messages yesterday apologizing profusely and claimed she was just fooling around. I texted a different manager in the ER this evening who replied "Sweep this under the rug and move on to your new job."

I am beyond confused, frustrated, and upset at the way I am being treated,as if this is my fault. Is this okay for an employee to not only touch another employee but to mark up their face? Should I just forget about this and be thankful I don't have to work with this person any longer?

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Kind of attacked at work, need help and opinions

Yes, you were treated badly and yes you should forget it and move on to your new job. Sounds like petty jealousy from petty people Complaining will get you no where. HR will never be your friend.

I'm not sure why you have the cell numbers of co-workers who treat you badly? Esp since you are support staff. Asking for "hugs"? Were you truly on that level of friendship or did they just tolerate your presence?

There is a clique in my office and some have the boss's cell numbers and some are actually FB "friends". I don't want any part of it. My relationship with my co-workers ends when I walk out the door. 

Honored Contributor

@SnowpuppySnowpuppy gave you some good advice.  If I were you, I'd take it and move on.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

Where I work there would be a full blown investigation as that would be considered bullying or harassment.  But I think I have to agree with snowpuppy on this one for your scenerio. And congratulations on your promotion!

Super Contributor

As the secretary, I was considered part of the leadership team in the ER and therefore we all had each others cell phone numbers.

I discovered very quickly working in such a large ER that tragedy was a part of the every day norm. "Hugging" is very prevalent in that department for many different reasons and helps people cope.

Honored Contributor

Since you have documented the bad situation (and it was wrong) I think the best thing to do is drop it, and move on. Some people cannot be happy for other people. Congratulations on your promotion, and best wishes.

Trusted Contributor

This person's behavior seems beyond bizarre.  It sounds like you have a really good job where management thinks highly enough of you to give you a promotion.  I would let it go and avoid this person like the plague.  Don't let her behavior (again, really bizarre behavior) steal your joy or cause you unnecessary stress.  I agree there may be some jealousy at play here.  One thing I learned thus far in life ~ when people start treating you differently (especially in a negative way) that's a sign you're doing something right.  The best way to handle the situation is this ~ go to work on Monday, take on your new position/duties and knock 'em dead!  What I'm trying to say here is SUCCEED!  (And congratulations)!!!

Respected Contributor

First of all, you are completely correct for feeling and reacting the way you did.

I understand how upsetting it is when you are in the right and people make it seem like you are the one in the wrong for standing up for yourself.

That co-worker has no right whatsoever to treat you like that. I'm glad you won't be working with her or that supervisor of yours. You did the right thing and I would of done the same. It's on the record now and it might curb this behavior in the future. And this is a nurse! Wow.

This sort of thing happens to me too where others make it seem like what bothers or happens to me is unimportant and I should be nonchalant about it. However, when it comes to them they won't have any of it.

However, next time something like this happens  (I hope it doesn't) say something to the person right then and there. This is not easy but with practice it becomes easier. Sometimes being polite is not the answer because certain people take advantage.

~Live with Intention~
Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

You sent an email to your Director and manager, which means this incident has been documented. It cannot be swept under the rug. The other manager should not have made that statement. This issue should have been handled appropriately by reviewing your grievance and at least discussing the issue with that employee. Meanwhile, the employee did apologize to you. Hopefully, you can move beyond it by rising above it all. Congratulations on your promotion. Remember you have rights.  Review their policies.

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

@oceanbreezy wrote:

You sent an email to your Director and manager, which means this incident has been documented. It cannot be swept under the rug. The other manager should not have made that statement. This issue should have been handled appropriately by reviewing your grievance and at least discussing the issue with that employee. Meanwhile, the employee did apologize to you. Hopefully, you can move beyond it by rising above it all. Congratulations on your promotion. Remember you have rights.  Review their policies.

Building on this, now that it has been documented, it is likely what triggered the profuse apologies. This may not have been her first abusive incident and she likely got called on the carpet for it. The manager who is asking you to move on was pushing a boundary, but since everything is documented, the next time, they will have no choice np it to do something if charges are pressed or attorneys become involved. Her personnel file and any related emails, etc. will then be subject to subpoena.

Please do move on and enjoy your new position. Look at it as a fresh start.