Honored Contributor

Keeping up with technology - how important is it to you?

My MIL is 82 years old.  She retired from her career as a psychologist in 1999, just about the time it became necessary to use a computer for most everything.  She barely learned to use email and has never owned a cell phone.  Her mind is sharp, she does the NYT crossword everyday, she's an avid reader and does a great deal of volunteer work in her community.

This summer, DH and I went "back home" for a visit.  We had the opportunity to spend time with her and my FIL,  and also see a lot of his extended family. 

MIL could not understand how we are all so familiar with each other's lives, since we live so far apart.  She said she feels "out of the loop". We explained to her that we are all connected via FB, Instagram and text messaging. My FIL, who is 85, is quite adept with his computer and iPhone.  We exchange texts and photos with him on a daily basis.  He also uses FB, and while he doesn't post, he's able to stay connected with his family and friends.  He shows her photos when he thinks she'll be interested and he's more than happy to teach her to use a smartphone, but she wants no part of it.

Do you think it's vital for seniors to stay on top of the latest technology?

~ house cat ~
Trusted Contributor

Re: Keeping up with technology - how important is it to you?

I think the word vital is what I disagree with.... we went many years without the internet etc.... so your MIL may not see any need for this.... I am in my late 70's and I love the computer and texting.... but I want to choose.... 

I believe everyone wants a choice and I believe the older people get the more difficult it can be to learn some things...

Please be patient.... you will reach our age and you wont want to pushed into something you are not comfortable with and you wont want to be judged.

Super Contributor

Only if they want to.  It can be a bit overwhelming for some people especially if they have not grown up with it or if it is new to them.  I think it's nice if one can learn to use modern devices but its not crucial.  If someone wants to learn, that's great but I don't think it's the end of the world if they aren't interested.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Personally, keeping up with technology is not important to me.  I do not have a "smartphone."  I'm not on any "social media."  I do like email and the ability to "surf the net" for information.  But otherwise I have made it through 68 years without a lot of technology.  My fear is that in the not too distant future, I will have to have a smartphone just for day to day living.  Not looking forward to that.

Maybe if I had an extended family who lived miles away I would feel differently but I'm happy living without all the technology which IMO, is taking over peopel's lives.

Respected Contributor

No I do not think it vital for anyone at any age. It's up to them to decide if they want to or not. I only know how to do a few things and have no desire to learn anymore than that in the technology dept. I am in my late 50's.

Honored Contributor

i do think it is important to learn new things......each and every day, if possible. if they want to learn then no one should hold them back.

computers, cell phones, technology, social media all allow us this.

my mom is 78 and she has learned how to use her computer, get her email, do online banking, order things online, investigate, use facebook, and use skype. we have even taught her how to use her voice remote, netflix, and her flip phone.

we help her out as much as we can......and that is almost daily. she loves learning and she is proud of herself for keeping up with the times. i think it keeps her young also.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

I strongly believe in keeping up with technology. I have the distinct feeling that if I refuse to, life will quickly pass me by.

I had a dad who relished learning new things until he passed at age 91. My uncle was just about to celebrate his 101 birthday and he passed but he printed out the church bulletin and used a computer to email me daily. My aunt has a cell phone at the age of 99 and actually texts me every few days to chat....

Esteemed Contributor

I am of the 'older' generation and am very computer literate.  Took programming in the 70s and have had a lap top since 1984.  Some of the new stuff on the internet is foreign to me and I admit it.  At this age, it is just not necessary, just a convenience for some.

I have a Smartphone, but to me it is a phone.  I have a desktop, a laptop and 3 Fire tablets, why would I want to us the phone for internet access?  Yes, I know how, we watched hurricane Irma go across us on my Tracfone and it was nice.  I do everything on line; banking, ordering, business emails, etc.

I spent many years on my job answering telephones.  I do not ever want to be tethered to a phone again.  I think it is just a waste of time to have to check email, or emails, Facebook, texts and messenger continuously to stay in touch!  I don't use Instagram and don't know anyone to Skype.

Being older does not mean we can't use it, just can't understand why? 

Respected Contributor

Your MIL is living her life right now with face to face contact by volunteering & not looking at a computer screen or a phone for companionship...good for her. I don't have a smart phone, don't use FB, rarely check email, not a Twitter twit & all the rest that keep people in touch but apart. I volunteer too & if you want to get in touch with me, call... that may change as I age but for now it keeps me moving & I need that.

Respected Contributor

I'm not sure if it is "vital" but I do think it is important for your own well-being to be aware of what is going on with new technology.