Honored Contributor

Re: Keeping up with technology - how important is it to you?

@house_cat Yes! Yes! Yes!  As long as they have someone in their life to help them connect it and explain how to use it.

This is me.  I like the latest and greatest of everything!  I like learning and part of that is the internet and being 'connected'.

I'm lucky, I guess, because I have a son-in-law who has many degrees in computer stuff and owns his own business.  His children and wife are also like that.  Then I have my youngest daughter who is like me with gadgets, she tells me about good things to make my life easier.

I have a dear friend who helps me connect things (if I can't) to my router, etc.  

I have a lot of the latest gadgets.  My son-in-law can get electronics cheaper than most (he just knows where to get them); so that helps.

I think it's important to keep one's mind sharp to stay up on the latest of everything (as much as possible).  I always worry about 'my brain turning to mush' because I find it difficult to find people who the opposite opinion of mine.  I think it is only by listening to other sides that we grow and make our own decisions.

I have a friend (a good friend) who has an old, old flip phone.  It's not that she loves it so much, she's just afraid of trying different things.  I keep telling her, "Just think I wouldn't have to call you, I could just text you, save you time".  I always say (about her phone), "Jesus carved it when he was here on earth" (it's that old).

I give her electronics and she just let's them sit there and doesn't use them.  She has tons of money, no children and is a widow, so it's not about spending the money.  She just won't venture out and try new things!

Super Contributor

Keeping up with technology is important to me.  I'm past my mid-70's and I like to keep up, computers, smartphones, tablets.  I just recently purchased the fire tv TSV and jailbroke it.  It all helps to keep my mind active and I also read a lot.

My smartphone is always in my pocket and I feel lost if it isn't.  I just don't understand when someone pooh poohs a cellphone.  But to each his own.

I'm always interested in what may be the next big thing.

Grow old my body but stay young my heart
Honored Contributor

It saddens me to say this, but my mother is 84, and is clueless about more things than I can count.   I don’t know exactly when it happened, but at some point she simply closed her mind to learning new things.  

The end result is that my mother now feels out of place in the world.   She can listen to conversations between her children, or grandchildren, and not understand any part of it.   Mom never had an interest in learning to type, so any technology beyond that is lost on her.   I can’t get her to understand she can take the cordless phone to the bathroom or basement with her, let alone think she could learn to use a cell phone or computer.   At least once a week my mom walks over with mail for me to interpret; before this started, she shredded her new credit card because she didn’t realize they expired and had to be replaced.   My mom just doesn’t keep up with anything anymore, which was an issue years before a dementia diagnosis.

Therefore, I think it is vital for everyone to keep learning new things until we die, period.   Keep reading, keep listening, keep doing, and above all, keep participating in life, until it’s over!

Honored Contributor

@RedTop

Your post is very poignant for me.  My mom dropped out of the workforce in 1982 when they were transitioning to computers in her office - she said she was ready to retire (she was 60), but I think it had a lot to do with the computers.  She never learned to use one in any way, nor did she ever have a cell phone.  Eventually, in her 80s, she was diagnosed with dementia. I often wonder which came first - did her brain get lazy because she refused to challenge it, or was she already dealing with cognitive issues in her 60s, which made her reluctant to embrace the new technology?

~ house cat ~
Honored Contributor

@house_cat

As one that has been called a "technology nut", and other similar titles, and very much a Senior.  Is it VITAL for me and others to stay on top of "the latest technologies"? NO!  

FB and most other similar social networks are at the bottom of my very long "to do list". I can use most of them, but don't want to waste that much of my, quickly ticking away time. This website and 1 other one are all that interest me. Mobile devices? No thank you, other than my tablet I take for my 4-6 hour Iron Infusions, and typing this. I use this tablet in lieu of my computer because it is much more comfortable, and I love watching our outdoor wildlife in our patio room than in our computer room. Laptop? No thanks!

I am pretty much an open book for most anyone interested in my life, in person or via later technologies. Face to face communication is still #1 in my book, and I have plenty enough interaction with real human beings, via that method.

For me being healthy/physically fit/mentally sound, and outgoing and a communicator most of my life, are what is VITAL to my life, not my ability to understand and master all, or even part of "the latest technologies".

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

I am totally fascinated with real-time electronics!!  Woman LOL

I think wanting to learn anything (computers, phones, etc.) is totally dependant on wanting  to learn no matter the person's age.... 

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Honored Contributor

It is good to keep up with some things. FB/Twitter  is not one of them. My senior relatives like to go on the internet. They would rather call then text, on their cells.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

My in-laws don't even have cordless house phones let alone a computer or internet to be able to get Netflix.

The only reason they have touch tone phones is because every doctor they call to make appts., etc is because they have to go through a menu to get where they want in the office.

Not long ago my husband had to write out, step by step how to get free

on-demand through the cable box and they still can't figure it out.

Honored Contributor

My husband and I are seniors, my husband is 8 years older than I am. It may not be vital to our quality of life, but it's convenient. Of course we have a PC and I have a smart phone. I like the text feature and keep in touch with my son that way. I have a facebook and twitter account, but do not keep up with either. I find facebook too personal and revealing ,twitter is just nasty. I really miss the thrill of hearing a loved ones voice on the telephone.

Honored Contributor

I think if a senior wants to stay connected to world and wants to do it by taking advantage of all that social media has to offer; that is wonderful thing.  I think social media can help seniors feel connected and less lonley.  It's choice.  Some seniors embrace it, some don't.  Some don't want any part of it.  That's their choice.  Since the woman's husband has a smart phone and uses FB etc etc; I don't think there is any issue here and no reason for anyone to butt in.  If she wanted to be involved, she'd ask her husband for an introduction.  Food, water, housing, medical care; those things are vital.   Smart Phones and social media....no.