Respected Contributor
Negativity of any kind is never productive, it drags a person, a community down. Its easy to be negative and its human nature to be negative. But, it does no good to be that way! It only brings hurt, anger, frustration, nasty comments etc. and fosters the worst of human nature and in the end, tears down rather than builds up! Positivity is never mindless!! It is a difficult thing to attain and takes focus, determination and hard work but the payoff is big when we are hit with disaster. Positivity will determine whether we will go down with the ship or rise above circumstances and be happy in anything. Not for nothing is the advice to think on the positive in any situation given by all great thinkers. It leads to peace and tranquility in lives.
Valued Contributor

But what if I need to tell myself I'm fat, that I spoiled my children, and...relationships just aren't for me?

Then I could never value the advice of the family members that hold me so dear?

Honored Contributor

I think that first it is important to be realistic, then do what you can to turn the situation positive. However, mindless positivity doesn't help without facing the truth. JMO.

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Respected Contributor

Re: Just saying..........

[ Edited ]

Yes, we need to be honest with ourselves.  But what I've learned along the way in this life is that most of the time, for me anyway, negativity comes more naturally than positivity.   Sometimes some of us need to forcefully direct our thoughts in a positive manner.  As the expression goes, fake it 'til you make it..   

Esteemed Contributor

I don’t think it’s possible to always be positive.After all we’re only human.Bad things happen that can drag us down.It’s how we handle these things that define us .  

I think we all strive to be positive & uplifting.But It’s a process.Some of us handle it better than others. Our life experiences,good & bad clearly affect how we handle adversity. 

It’s easier to be positive when everything always goes your way.It’s harder when you can never catch a break. 

Honored Contributor

@Naturesbeauty

Very nice post to read and to apply in life. I will add the 2 that I mention in many posts to your use of the word "positivity".

1) Optimism

2) Patience

Makes for a much happier life for one's self, and almost everyone around them. Everyone should ledger their Negatives and Positives, and count how many more there usually are on the Positives ledger.

hckynut

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

Honesty is #1

But there are ways to express it and ways to temper it.

It's all in how you express it.

Honesty to one seems to sometimes be nasty to another.

It's all about your point of view.

@Naturesbeauty wrote:
Negativity of any kind is never productive, it drags a person, a community down. Its easy to be negative and its human nature to be negative. But, it does no good to be that way! It only brings hurt, anger, frustration, nasty comments etc. and fosters the worst of human nature and in the end, tears down rather than builds up! Positivity is never mindless!! It is a difficult thing to attain and takes focus, determination and hard work but the payoff is big when we are hit with disaster. Positivity will determine whether we will go down with the ship or rise above circumstances and be happy in anything. Not for nothing is the advice to think on the positive in any situation given by all great thinkers. It leads to peace and tranquility in lives.

Honored Contributor

They say you are what you think.  If  we think negative thoughts we become more negative so I try to think positive thoughts to become more positive.  When I have trouble doing that I say, "God help me"!!

Honored Contributor

I'll throw this into the mix:  Some negative people dislike positive people.  They 'irk' them.  Mainly because they are direct opposites.  It's fairly easier for a positive person to 'stay clear' of a negative person.  A negative person has a lot of trouble becoming even slightly positive.  It takes an immense amount of energy.  And some negative people just plain don't want to.  They like being negative.  It's their 'home', so to speak.   ........ (Just  thoughts that I have at the moment.)  (i.e. Just saying.....)

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Respected Contributor

I believe in saying no and I think children need to be taught that they are allowed to say no so I don't know if that counts as being negative.  

I don't want to be political  but I can't put a positive spin on everything like some people do.