Honored Contributor

Dinaki,

I just woke up from falling asleep on my chair and discovered this thread (as well as the other under "Shoes").  How my heart aches for you.  I suffered physical, mental and emotional abuse from my first husband, and I knew I had to leave him and did.

Under the other thread, someone wisely suggested to you that you contact one of your local Greek Orthodox Churches. That is what I would have suggested, too.  Please do not think that if you are not a member or haven't attended on a regular basis (or at all), they will not help you.  They will.  Or, they should.

The church is there to help and you are Greek.  Even if you are not Greek Orthodox, they will help you.  At least that is how it is in my parish.  Someone calls in for help, and they help in whatever way they can.

I bet the priest would have someone in his parish who would take you in and protect you until the time you can return to Greece.

Best of luck, dear lady.  Get away from that bum of a husband! 

Honored Contributor

@Dinaki 

I did not see your original post about what is happening so I do not know the whole story, but I am so very sorry to read that you are having so many problems.  I unfortunately don't know how to advise you, but I just wanted to post and tell you that I am concerned for you and hope that you can find a solution and to get away from the abuse you are experiencing.  No one deserves this, please seek help and get away as quickly as possible.  And please, let us know how you are doing!!!  Blessings! 

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Trusted Contributor

Re: Just received this

[ Edited ]

Can someone explain to me why the OP thinks this article is bad news for her?

The article says "American tourist". She is a Greece citizen not an Amertican tourist. Supposedly her Embassy is saying that Greek citizens with passports are being allowed to go home.

If what has been reported is true it would be good news. The best thing for her to do is contact her Embassy immediately, explain in detail what she has said here on the forum, ask for their assistance to get home ASAP. The one poster said the Embassy was 2 hours away but that they would send a car to get her and get her on a plane. 

I can't speak for anyone else but if it were me and the above was true I would be calling the Embassy and be on a plane before you could blink. Once home I would start what was necessary to get out of the abusive situation and unless there was a particular reason not look back and remain in Greece.

I believe she has another legal matter in Greece she needs to take care of also. Maybe the current situation can help expedite her return home so she take care of that matter also.

Esteemed Contributor

Rather than relying on news articles, why not get the facts?  Call the embassy.

Highlighted
Trusted Contributor

@Still Raining  ..... Right! I would have immediately been contacting the Embassy explaining the abusive situation especially the part where he said I would be "history" and demanding protection. And I definitely would not be staying in the same house with the abuser. If as she said he is that quick tempered why would you continue to put yourself at risk.

Frankly, a trip to the emergency room when it first happened would have gotten things moving faster. All you had to do is dial 911. I would not have been looking at shoes less alone thinking about them.