Esteemed Contributor

@Duckncover 

@Duckncover wrote:

I just learned a dear friend who I grew up with passed away a few days ago.  She had early onset Alzheimer's and was only 64. Another friend died a few weeks ago from cancer. I lost several to Covid. I am feeling more sad and vulnerable than ever.  Have you had any friends who have died? It seems this past year has been the most...and some were in their 50's; former coworkers I knew well. Another older man I worked with was just diagnosed with ALS. I feel rather emotionally drained right now. 

So sorry.  I know the feeling, your friend was young. My friend of 63 years has Alzheimers now and calls me, or I will visit or call her. She lives alone, but her son lives next to her on the same properity.  When I call i don't think she knows it's me, till I give her my name.  At times she is fine, but doesn't remember me visiting or calling.  Her son checks on her everyday, living next door, it's early in her stage. 

She is 96 and still strong.  She has said since her husband died two years ago, they were married 63 years, she wants to die.  So sad.  She never went anywhere without him, not even lunch with the ladies.  She use to tell me, I'm married and you don't go out without your husband. It's understandable she would decline after he died, nothing to live for she said. Sad.

Sorry about your lost.

Honored Contributor

I get how you feel; I've lost 40 people I knew (friends, coworkers, acquaintances, neighbors) since Christmas Day.  My world is getting smaller as each day passes.  

Honored Contributor

That's a lot of loss in a short time, you might want to consider a few sessions with a therapist to help you process it all.  

Respected Contributor

The longer we live, the more common it is that we do lose friends and often close relatives too.,  But the human experience is that we are never prepared for such losses. .  We all need encouragement by a hug or an encouraging word.during these trying times.

Respected Contributor

Re: Just lost a friend

[ Edited ]

@RedTop wrote:

I get how you feel; I've lost 40 people I knew (friends, coworkers, acquaintances, neighbors) since Christmas Day.  My world is getting smaller as each day passes.  

Me too Red Top but the hardest thing in the world is the anticipation of losing one of my children.