Esteemed Contributor

Just got a call from my friend......

She was so upset.Her son is graduating from medical school.He sent her an email that he only was able to get 2 tickets to his graduation.He is giving one to his girlfriend & his parents have to decide which one of them gets to go!

She was so upset.She said that her & her DH decided that they either both go or nobody goes.She & her husband have been wonderful parents.He grew up very close to them.They paid for his very expensive college education.He got a partial scholarship to med school & took out a loan for the rest.My friend got him a car & gives him $1000 a month for his portion of his rent/ living expenses.

She asked me what I thought. I told her I would have said the same thing.After all she & her DH were with him from the start on his journey through school beginning with kindergarten! His girlfriend has been in his life for 3 years.She's a teacher.She makes good money.She hasn't offered him a dime.Whenever he needed help or advice he always went to his parents.

Was I wrong to agree with my friend? I feel that they should both be there to celebrate his accomplishment.He would never have gotten that far if not for their emotional & financial support!!

Honored Contributor

Re: Just got a call from my friend......

FWIW, I agree with you and her.     He needs to see the bigger picture and his parents are BOTH entitled to tickets to his graduation.  Time to think with his big head.  Smiley Wink

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

His parents need to go . If I was his parents, I would be so upset. That is his girlfriend, not his wife. If he marries her down the road,  there will be resentment.

Respected Contributor

I agree - her son should have asked both his parents. 

Respected Contributor

Definitely the parents should attend.

Trusted Contributor

The Dad should be the one to "discuss" this 'one ticket' situation with the Son, via Skype or phone ... the tickets should go to the parents ... the girl friend can go out to dinner with the family to celebrate.

Esteemed Contributor

IMHO, he's a spoiled brat! Tell her to send a written reply refusing to attend along with a billing invoice for all college expenses, including living expenses up to the date of graduation. Also include written notice showing interest rate on amounts outstanding if not paid in full within thirty days of his graduation.

What state is he in? I'd never go to such a self-absorbed doctor!

Esteemed Contributor

Here is what her e-mail to her son should say:

We have been wonderful parents.  We thought that we were a close family.  We paid for your very expensive college education.  We got you a car & give you $1000 a month for your portion of your rent/ living expenses.  Either we both will be there to celebrate or neither will be there.

This is my opinion:  Since his girlfriend is a teacher, she certainly should understand that his parents should definitely be at their son's graduation.  To take their place at this exciting time shows that she is selfish and that never gets better.  If she is too immature to understand this, then he needs to end the relationship.  He will come to regret the decision if he goes with the gf instead of his parents. 

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Super Contributor

Very interesting. Lets say the parents were divorced and both re-married who gets to go? This is like @ the hospital when our grandbaby was born only 2 @ a time. Well blood grandma wanted to see "my grandbaby first", well she went in alone!

I say this is weird that he only gets 2 tickets, but I know they have a limit. Parents are forever and girlfriends come & go! I vote parents!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@RACALAMB2

It would be the bio parents of the graduate IMO.