Respected Contributor

Re: Just a tip on something so easy

@teganslaw 

We take the name, pharmacy and the drug info off for security reasons as you state. That information if it gets into the wrong hands can really become a huge problem. Privacy, Privacy. Privacy. When disposing of unused drugs they tell us over and over all the time-- remove ALL labels. You don't want people to have access to the info on the bottles.

Esteemed Contributor

@teganslaw wrote:

Why would one need to take their name off medicine bottles? Maybe when the medicines are disposed of, for security reasons, otherwise I don't see the need. 

@teganslaw  I do it because I reuse the bottles. Wash them carefully and I can use them for snaps, rubberbands, buttons and so on, otherwise it stays on and goes in the trash.

Even the lots of paper that comes with the meds, they go in the trash. Does anyone care what I'm taking, I don't think so.

I went to the dump one time and let me tell you, everything is so crushed and compact, no one will ever find anything.  After that, it didn't bother me at all.

Esteemed Contributor

@Junebug54 wrote:

@teganslaw   I agree.  See my above post.   No one answered my question.  Good luck with yours.   

@Junebug54  this Forum is so busy (even though some say it's not), I've been moving from Thread to Thread and so is everyone. I didn't see your question but saw @teganslaw's so the answer is the same for your question.

Esteemed Contributor

I get my meds from Kaiser and the labels peel off like butter and there is no residue on the bottle. I like that and resure them because I like to sew and keep all sorts of little things in them. That's the only reason I take the label off.

Identity theft, anyone who wants to be me would have to pay a large sum. I'm worth it.

Trusted Contributor

So again I ask, who is "they" and what and explain what could  possibly happen if that info got into the "wrong" hands.

Honored Contributor

You can dispose of your meds, etc. at Walgreen's.  Just noticed a *drop box* there today.

I wouldn't waste water to get rid of labels.

Esteemed Contributor

@Junebug54 wrote:

So again I ask, who is "they" and what and explain what could  possibly happen if that info got into the "wrong" hands.

@Junebug54  I really don't know. I've never understood what could or would happen.

For me it doesn't matter. I take the labels off just to reuse the bottles. The six or seven pages of paperwork that accompany the medication goes in the garbage.

Some people are just paranoid and maybe they have a reason to be. Identity Theft, maybe?

If you ever find the answer, please let me know.

Trusted Contributor

Well, call me crazy or lazy, but I just toss them in the trash when I've finished an Rx. Is this *not* a go0od idea?

deeWoman Surprised

Esteemed Contributor

@Catiele wrote:

I use the guard your ID. I am still on my first set. For me it worked out fine. Would order another set when needed.

------------

Me too!!  Works well.  I also use it on those slick labels that on magazines that I did not order!  Also on shipping boxes from different stores...