Honored Contributor

Just a tip on something so easy

I just watched Carolyn sell the "Guard your ID stamp. V36498.

I've bought several over the years but seldom use them.

An easier way to remove your name etc, off of medicine bottles is to totally immerse the empty bottle in hot water.  Take off the lid first, of course.

I just use my fingernail to scratch off the entire label in a minute or less.  

The label scrunches up and it becomes tiny pieces of wasted up little balls.

I found this out by accident.  I have a white porcelain double kitchen sink. I'm always worried about scratching it.  I keep a Tupperware container filled with water in the sink.

A medicine bottle (empty) fell in it.  I grabbed it out so I could run that ink thing over it but the label started coming off on its own.

I think it would be good for others who've found simple answers to something we all can use.

Everyone, please feel free to post your easy answers to things we 'fight' with every day.

Super Contributor

Re: Just a tip on something so easy

I buy a very large black marker, found the largest at Hobby Lobby, and go over any written words to cover---good on med bottles, insurance papers---I use it on all things!  Quck and easy!

Esteemed Contributor

My labels peel right off. There's a sticky back so I fold them a few times and then cut them into small peices.

Esteemed Contributor

@Annabellethecat66 wrote:

I just watched Carolyn sell the "Guard your ID stamp. V36498.

I've bought several over the years but seldom use them.

An easier way to remove your name etc, off of medicine bottles is to totally immerse the empty bottle in hot water.  Take off the lid first, of course.

I just use my fingernail to scratch off the entire label in a minute or less.  

The label scrunches up and it becomes tiny pieces of wasted up little balls.

I found this out by accident.  I have a white porcelain double kitchen sink. I'm always worried about scratching it.  I keep a Tupperware container filled with water in the sink.

A medicine bottle (empty) fell in it.  I grabbed it out so I could run that ink thing over it but the label started coming off on its own.

I think it would be good for others who've found simple answers to something we all can use.

Everyone, please feel free to post your easy answers to things we 'fight' with every day.

@Annabellethecat66  for the past 10 minutes I'm here thinking of something but just can't. Maybe it's just too early. Haven't had my coffee yet.

Honored Contributor

just tear the label off

i make sure my name is gone and drug name 

Honored Contributor

Then at least with CVS you have the large papers that are stapled to the bag you get your meds in lol. You name and pres number is all over those!

Faith is the strength by which a shattered world shall emerge into the light. —Helen Keller
Trusted Contributor

When I cut up an expired credit card, or drivers license, or similar items of importance, I do not throw all the cut up pieces in the same trash bin and all at once. 

I hold some back and throw away the rest the following week.  Sometimes I will put it in the office trash, if that has just been emptied, as it will be another couple of weeks before I empty it again, since the office is used so infrequently. 

Honored Contributor

The things I use.........

Removing sticky labels

Screen Shot 2021-10-31 at Sun, Oct 31, 2021-12.10.00 PM.png

Opening "new" jars and/or "stuck" jar tops

Screen Shot 2021-10-31 at Sun, Oct 31, 2021-12.09.12 PM.png

Destroying CDs, DVDs, credit/debit cards & anything else w/personal info

Screen Shot 2021-10-31 at Sun, Oct 31, 2021-12.11.13 PM.png

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Mz iMac wrote:

The things I use.........

Removing sticky labels

Screen Shot 2021-10-31 at Sun, Oct 31, 2021-12.10.00 PM.png

Opening "new" jars and/or "stuck" jar tops

Screen Shot 2021-10-31 at Sun, Oct 31, 2021-12.09.12 PM.png

Destroying CDs, DVDs, credit/debit cards & anything else w/personal info

Screen Shot 2021-10-31 at Sun, Oct 31, 2021-12.11.13 PM.png

I need to get me one of those jar openers.  I won my last battle with a jar of marinara sauce, but it wasn't easy and I'm always afaraid I'm going to end up with jar contents all over the place, even with the hand held jar openers..

Esteemed Contributor

Hi @Annabellethecat66 

I abandoned your hot water method because dry heat works faster and is less messy, and I don't have any pulpy paper bits slipping down my kitchen sink drain.

I use dry heat to remove any adhesive Rx labels from medicine bottles. I use the same method to remove adhesive labels from just about everything. The heat makes the adhesive let go of whatever it's stuck to.

I use just a little $15.00 heater.

Turn it on and train the heat at the edge of the sticky paper label. In just two or three seconds I can easily pry up the paper edge. Then turn the bottle or package slowly into the heat while steadily lifting the whole label away.

Once you get it started, aim the heat toward the sticky side of the label, where the adhesive meets the object. Entire labels nearly always come off cleanly, in one piece, with no sticky residue left on the object.

I've used this method to lift whole labels off of stemware, many household items, even thin plastic bags. Be careful with plastic, but the sticky adhesive softens before the plastic bag does.

I roll those Rx labels into tight little paper "straws" while the adhesive is still extra sticky from the heat. Then I just ✂snip the cooled straw into the trash.