Honored Contributor

Re: Just a heads up for people that do not know about Facebook.....

I originally got on FB because my kids were there and away at college, etc, so I wanted to keep in touch in whatever way worked best for them.  

Now I'm on FB because I am a founding member of a political group in the midwest and we have a page where we can keep up on each other's activities with candidates, political work, and keep each other informed.  It has been wonderful that way.  

I also have a friends around the country and it's a nice way to keep in touch.

I have limited friends, tightened security, and avoid sites where trolls and scammers are more common.  

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@CalminHeart wrote:

I originally got on FB because my kids were there and away at college, etc, so I wanted to keep in touch in whatever way worked best for them.  

Now I'm on FB because I am a founding member of a political group in the midwest and we have a page where we can keep up on each other's activities with candidates, political work, and keep each other informed.  It has been wonderful that way.  

I also have a friends around the country and it's a nice way to keep in touch.

I have limited friends, tightened security, and avoid sites where trolls and scammers are more common.  

You better check your account because your so called 'tightened security" has been compromised 90 million people have to log out of there accounts. Good luck to you! 

Esteemed Contributor

@NYC Susan wrote:

@Ainhisg wrote:

@apple1964 wrote:

Your search history is there for anyone to see. I took my account down because of that! Woman Mad 

This is simply not true.  The only people who could possibly see your Facebook searches would be people who have access to your account/password like perhaps a significant other.  Your FB friends can't see your searches let alone someone with whom you're not friends.  

You are correct.  It is simply not true.  

No one can see someone else's search history.  Under Search History it clearly states, "Only you can see your search history".  There's also a "Learn More" link.  This is what the link leads to for me:

Your activity log includes a list of the things you search for on Facebook. Remember, no one else can see your activity log.

As far as I know, this is the way it's always been.

You are wrong because I saw my history there when I still had my account! 

Esteemed Contributor

@Zhills wrote:

@Ainhisg wrote:

@apple1964 wrote:

Your search history is there for anyone to see. I took my account down because of that! Woman Mad 

This is simply not true.  The only people who could possibly see your Facebook searches would be people who have access to your account/password like perhaps a significant other.  Your FB friends can't see your searches let alone someone with whom you're not friends.  

Unless you have not bothered to set your information to private.  Lots of people do not know what SETTINGS is or how to use it.  The account could be wide open!

I have set my settings private for your information!

Esteemed Contributor

@FrostyBabe1 wrote:

@Zhills wrote:

@Ainhisg wrote:

@apple1964 wrote:

Unless you have not bothered to set your information to private.  Lots of people do not know what SETTINGS is or how to use it.  The account could be wide open!

Even if you have your account wide open for the whole world to see, your searches are still private. As stated above, the only way someone could see your search history is to actually be logged in to your account. 

@apple1964, if you have proof otherwise, please provide links to that proof/documentation. Stating something like this and telling people to "google it" for proof doesn't cut it. When you make the assertion, the onus is on you to be able to prove it's true. 

I suggest you find out yourself, I am not on facebook anymore! You can also google about the 90 million people that had to log out of there accounts because they were compromised just days ago. I do not have to prove anything to anyone except myself. You do not believe what I stated that is too bad for you. A lot of people here do.And what you stated is not true on all accounts. Nothing is private anymore Facebook uses these history searches to find out what people order to sell them to other companies and if you do not believe that your delusional.

Esteemed Contributor

@happycat wrote:

@apple1964, is it your internet search history, like what you have searched for on google? Or is it what you searched for on fb?

Thanks

I never searched anything on FB.. this was the internet search that I saw the history from way back.

Esteemed Contributor

To update this thread because I am the O/P I want to thank you for your replies. Be aware there has been a security breach on face book  [un related to my thread]another member started a thread here and it just told people to check out there accounts, 90 million people had to log out of there accounts. Just a heads up! Good luck to all of you that have a face book account, I am glad I pulled ours down. Woman Happy

Trusted Contributor

FTR, you can delete your search history. It's not difficult. 

Whether FB keeps a copy of your search history is another story. And you know how that goes.

Honored Contributor

@Beauty Maven wrote:

I don't like Facebook -- I'll never understand why people want their "friends" to know where they're at, what they're eating etc. at all times.  I just don't get it.  I LOVE my privacy.

Not everyone posts this krap. I've only got my real life family and friends as friends on FB and I have my settings so that I only read friends posts and only my friends read mine.I go to FB as a convenient way to keep in touch with family and friends who live all over the world, and we don't waste our time on posting garbage no one wants to read.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@apple1964 wrote:

@NYC Susan wrote:

@Ainhisg wrote:

@apple1964 wrote:

You are correct.  It is simply not true.  

No one can see someone else's search history.  Under Search History it clearly states, "Only you can see your search history".  There's also a "Learn More" link.  This is what the link leads to for me:

Your activity log includes a list of the things you search for on Facebook. Remember, no one else can see your activity log.

As far as I know, this is the way it's always been.

You are wrong because I saw my history there when I still had my account! 

I am not wrong. Yes, YOU can see your search history.  But no one else can.  You clearly stated in your OP that search histories are "there for anyone to see".  That is absolutely not true.  

I really think we all have to be careful about sharing information and passing it on as factual when we don't actually know for sure . And we all have to be careful about believing whatever we read without confirming the facts ourselves.