Occasional Contributor

Re: Just a general boyfriend question.

I really don't have much to add to what's been said so far and I sure don't know if the O/P is a religious person or not, but maybe some time spent in prayer over the situation would help lead you in the right direction. 

Honored Contributor

Perhaps you don't mean it this way, but it sounds as though you already have one foot out the door.

If not, I wonder, have you explored the option of changing your work schedule to be more compatible with his?

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Honored Contributor

@Plaid Pants2 wrote:

So, you're redy to bail just because there is a bump in the road?

Wow.

Sounds like you have your mind already made up as to what you are going to do, and are just on here looking for aprooval.

His shift hours could change in six months, to where he has (at least) one weekend day off each week again.

There is a reason why in marriage vows (yes, I know that the two of you are not going to get hitched), they say "For better or for worse".

Sounds to me that for you it's "For better or I get what I want" 

@Plaid Pants2

I was thinking the exact same thing! 

Maybe this relationship is just one to fill time together and the recent shift change has her re-evaluating how much he means tp her.   If he is that easy to end things with, she shouldn't waste his time. She should just end it.

Super Contributor

There are issues that I did not get into.... Yes his work schedule has made our situation much harder but I did not mention that when he leaves work some days he heads to the bar and gets to the house when he feels like it.  We have had many discussions about this and have had him leave for the night but he continues to do what he wants... So when this Saturday and Sunday work schedule put another wrench in our time it was not working for me again.... I work every day from 8:30 - 4:00 and can't keep taking days off to do something with BF...  The other day he had off and I did not know.  He ended up at the bar in the afternoon and came home again late.  Dinner was made and I ate alone... Don't feel I need to put up with ****** from a BF but I do care for him and don't want to end it but the drinking will break us up one day...He said he would like to get another job but he likes all the people he works with and they like him... I will never or plan to ask him to change jobs.... I have a few more years to work before I retire and since he is younger than me he has many more years to work.  No I am not bailing out on him but I am tired of putting up with anyone's ******...

Honored Contributor

@Hondagirl wrote:

There are issues that I did not get into.... Yes his work schedule has made our situation much harder but I did not mention that when he leaves work some days he heads to the bar and gets to the house when he feels like it.  We have had many discussions about this and have had him leave for the night but he continues to do what he wants... So when this Saturday and Sunday work schedule put another wrench in our time it was not working for me again.... I work every day from 8:30 - 4:00 and can't keep taking days off to do something with BF...  The other day he had off and I did not know.  He ended up at the bar in the afternoon and came home again late.  Dinner was made and I ate alone... Don't feel I need to put up with ****** from a BF but I do care for him and don't want to end it but the drinking will break us up one day...He said he would like to get another job but he likes all the people he works with and they like him... I will never or plan to ask him to change jobs.... I have a few more years to work before I retire and since he is younger than me he has many more years to work.  No I am not bailing out on him but I am tired of putting up with anyone's ******...

@hondagirl

After reading the above comment, I couldn't help but wonder WHY you are with this guy.

Whether you continue to "date" him or not, you need to get him out of your house .....  and get a more interesting life.    None of us are getting any younger!

Honored Contributor

@Hondagirl wrote:

After reading this, why did you let him move into your house recently?

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Hondagirl wrote:

You care for him, but do you love him?

Honored Contributor

@Hondagirl wrote:

So its not the change in his work shifts but his drinking at the bar instead of spending time with you that has your panties in a twist. I suspect there is a lot more going on at home then you have said, maybe you need to think really hard why is he at the bar and not at home with you 

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Hondagirl wrote:

This does change things, hondagirl.  You have to ask yourself how you'll feel if you break it off or maybe ask him to move out.  Why did he move in with you in the first place?  That might give you a clue as to what to do going forward.  It sounds to me as if you don't want to be alone, which is a perfectly acceptable motive.

Do you ever feel sometimes as if you are at least in some ways his mother/caretaker?  I wonder about that from this post, but I have very limited information.  Is he irresponsible?  Have things changed since he moved in? 

You could always keep your eye out for someone else and if you find someone you like a lot ask him to move out.  If he's not worthy of being your one and only and you two don't have a commitment, you shouldn't feel as if you can't go out with other men while he's at work.  I suppose if he found out that would end it, so it's a risk.

Just a few thoughts off the top of my head.  The two of you aren't married, don't have children together, and it at least sounds as if you aren't super committed to him.  Look out for your own best interests, as you just might find out down the line he's doing that for himself.  My apologies if I'm interpreting your posts the wrong way.

P.S.:  When I was in college, I knew a couple who'd been together for at least a couple of years.  One day the gal came to me asking for advice.  She'd met a very nice guy at church.  He'd walk her home after church and really wanted to date her.  She was confused about the whole thing and her commitment to the other guy.  I felt obligated to answer honestly even though I knew her boyfriend too.  I could tell she liked the guy and advised that she go out with him and see where it went.  She was not engaged to her current boyfriend, but even that wouldn't matter because they weren't married and it would be wrong for her to marry the wrong person.  She ended up marrying the other guy.  Keep your eyes open and look out for #!.

Respected Contributor

Agree there will have to be some adjustments.  I have a brother and BIL who have done shift work for decades for the same reason.  My sister and SIL had to adjust but it afforded them the ability to save on child care or minimal child care.  The guys both worked for the same place and could work on different teams that may or may not have off weekends.  It worked well for them and, I've heard my sister say that bc they were always passing each other coming and going is probably the reason they are stiill together 32 years later!