Respected Contributor

Just a Market Research Reject.........

Over the past ten years, I've been rejected by four or five online company opinion panels. It happened again today.

The first was Walmart who put me on a waiting list because of my demographics. I guess I fell off the waiting list at some point.

I remember Amica Insurance. They sent long surveys which allowed a Not Applicable response. Few of the questions had anything to do with my life, and at a certain point I stopped answering them.

Today I received an invitation to join Acme Markets' rewards-linked survey program. I entered my information (basically retired old lady from the NorthEast who declines to give her income) and started the first survey, "Employment and Business."  Question 1: Is anyone in your household employed?" No. Sorry, you do not qualify for this survey.

It was the same for the next two survey topics.

The website of Research-Now/Dynata, author of the Acme survey, says their company makes it quick and easy to get just the responses needed.

They weren't kidding.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Re: Just a Market Research Reject.........

@PickyPicky3 @You are probably not in their target demographic. 

Respected Contributor

@Mindy D   Of course. My point is my (our) demographic has less and less interest to anyone every day. And I feel it and don't like it.

Honored Contributor

Several years ago I was recruited to be part of a major marketing company. Not sure how they found me. And I was reluctant at first but finally gave in.

I ended up doing it for several years. I was to transmit my purchases.

You would end up with points. They would send you a catalog several times a year. You could use your points to "buy" quite a nice assortment of goodies.

I probably would still be doing it, if someone didn't like the idea. And I would have to hear his complaints all the time. It really just took minutes because the scanner just read the bar codes.

When I worked in a local mall there was a marketing company around the corner from our store. Whenever they had a survey, if they needed people they would stop by and ask us to participate.

If it was a beauty product, you would get a jar of the product and then a few weeks later give your opinion.

My girlfriend used to actually go into stores and buy stuff. Or she would go into restaurants and eat lunch or dinner. Then she would fill out surveys.

Our store used to be "shopped" all the time. But the people shopping were from the parent company. The opinion of the people who were "shopping" carried alot of weight. We got pins when we met all the company's expectations. 

Good Luck. It is an easy way to spend your time and be rewarded.

Honored Contributor

@PickyPicky3 wrote:

@Mindy D   Of course. My point is my (our) demographic has less and less interest to anyone every day. And I feel it and don't like it.

@PickyPicky3    The older I get, the more I realize that retired, old ladies become non-entities.  We have no value to anyone including medical science which really doesn't want to waste time on us.  If this hasn't happened to you yet, just wait.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Contributor

I got the same Acme survey. Asked questions about investing and what sports we follow.. I found it an odd combination of questions. I got through the whole thing, and wasn't chosen. Suburban, in my 60s... they had enough from that demographic..  I might try another one, who knows, I may get lucky!

Flashback to college where I majored in Marketing in college, and for one of my projects, I was the annoying person at the Mall, carrying a clipboard, asking you "would you like to participate in a survey?"  Lucky I was ok with taking no for an answer.

Respected Contributor

@Kachina624   My Primary no longer asks me any questions aside from the billable Medicare questions. 

Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Kachina624  I turned in a job application I filled out, and the girl I gave it to, looked right through me. I know what you mean.

Valued Contributor

At midnight on your 45th birthday we become irrelevant to marketers.  The only time we are solicited is those d***ned Medicare advantage commercials, walk-in tubs or Lifeline.

I always thought it was interesting that the people who have the most money to spend 

are regarded so lightly. A dollar spends just as well from a 65 year old as a 25 year old.

There was a show a few years ago called "Six Feet Under".  In one episode Kathy Bates 

portrayed a new friend of the oldest woman cast member.  They were in a department store and she put a blouse in her handbag right on the store floor.  The other woman was stunned and asked her what she was doing.  Kathy Bates responded "Listen, we are two middle-aged women in America.  We are absolutely invisible.  Nobody sees us or pays any attention to us.  We might as well take advantage of it once in awhile!"

While I don't approve of shoplifting, I immediately got her point.

Respected Contributor

This is one of the saddest threads I've ever read. Why would anyone feel the need to be validated by a market researcher? I don't get it.