Respected Contributor

How do you feel about serving on a jury during this pandemic?  I have received a jury summons to serve this week and am feeling somewhat apprehensive.  Do you think I can get out of it due to age or fear or am I being too cautious?  I generally go to the grocery once a week and that is the extent of my running around currently............

Honored Contributor

Personally, no way would I serve on jury duty.  I have served on a jury once and have been called several times in the past 50 years.  Fortunately, I am now of the age where I can use that as an excuse, pandemic or not.  

Respected Contributor

I would not feel comfortable going at all during this pandemic.  I can’t imagine how they would even set it up to keep people safe. 

Honored Contributor

Our area is still doing most hearings via Zoom.

I would think if there are jury trials, they have to be taking precautions like seating 6 feet apart/putting plexiglass up, mask wearing, etc. 

Honored Contributor

I received a jury summons last week, it's for June.  I don't think anything will change between now and June.  I think I can put it off for a year.  I can do it online.  It doesn't matter, I'm not doing jury duty in 2021 anyway.

Esteemed Contributor

Not in this environment where  some  arrested on violent crimes are not being held on bail . To many people with vindictive behaviors in the world who know that they are not going to be held accountable.

Trusted Contributor

@Boomernichols I have done jury duty several times.  I would not be afraid.  I'm sure they space out the jurors.  You are also interviewed when you show up for the first time for any biases or issues with the case so I'm sure if you are uncomfortable you can get out of it then  If you are really scared to just show up at the courthouse, just have your doctor write you a letter excusing you.  Send it to the address on the letter.  I had to write a letter to excuse my husband one time since he was out of town and would not be back in time.  You call in each day to see if they need you.  One case I was on was cancelled before it even started, then another after we had been interviewed the case was dropped and we were excused.  It's easy, not complicated and yes during these times I'm sure they understand they will have a segment of population that will not want to come to the courthouse.  

Honored Contributor

My sister did it. She said there are barriers between the jurors.

Honored Contributor

I am in the vulnerable group and would not do it.  If I was younger, I might feel differently.  I've served often in the past.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

Opting out however one can seems like the best move at this point.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...