Honored Contributor

I would not during the pandemic. I served two years ago for a week. It is the perfect situation for getting COVID.  I would NEVER  go at this time. 

Esteemed Contributor

@Boomernichols, wait - you received a jury summons to serve this week? When did you receive it? I've never heard of being summoned with no prior notice! At this point, you probably need to show up or be held in contempt of court.

If you received the jury summons a couple of weeks ago, that would have been the time to call the circuit clerk's office and ask them what precautions have been set up in the court house to protect people. If you are over 65 and in the "vulnerble" category, then a letter from your doctor might be enough to get you dismissed.

It just seems like it's a little late to do anything at this point other than show up at the court house and ask the judge to be dismissed when he starts questioning the potential jurors.

Honored Contributor
I think you should apply for or ask for an exemption or postponement due to COVID if you don’t want to risk it. I know a friend who was recently summoned to a grand jury a couple of weeks ago. She checked the card they sent and said she needed to be exempt due to her age and it was accepted. There was also a statement about COVID on it but it just said they needed to wear a mask when they went. No way would I go right now.
Respected Contributor

I'd love to be on a murder trial, but I never get picked, and yes - I'd go to JD without issue.

Frequent Contributor

@colliemom4 

I'm not sure why people think that plastic barriers are an effective method to prevent Covid, air flows around, above and below these barriers.  It's like trying to stop a mosquito with a chain link fence.   At best, plastic barriers offer a false sense of security.

I would not serve Jury Duty at this time.

Honored Contributor

My opinion is that covid is no excuse for not doing your civic duty.

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Super Contributor

Short of death or dismemberment it is our civic duty to serve. Follow precautions as advised by CDC and get yourself there.

Super Contributor

I received one a few months ago and of course it was cancelled due to the pandemic.

Honored Contributor

People that think Covid is no excuse for not wanting to show up for in person jury duty during a pandemic, then you do it.

Honored Contributor

@Imaoldhippie wrote:

My opinion is that covid is no excuse for not doing your civic duty.

@Auntie CC    @Imaoldhippie  Risk your life  for jury duty?  It is not just the risk for DEATH..... but also Hospitalization....lingering after affects....COST of being sick( insurance does not cover everything).  No jury trial is that important. NO WAY NO HOW.  

It is one’s civic duty to stay home when possible and maintain safe distances from one another. And wear my mask.....That is my CIVIC DUTY with 400 Thousand  DEAD Americans from Covid!