Trusted Contributor

Re: June 2023 Bird's Nest; Babies, Babies Everywhere :-)

He surly is !

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Bird mama  I'm trying to solve a bird mystery. A bird with red feathers along with greyish wings has repeatedly been flying close to & past my front kitchen window and up to the roof eave. I've never seen a bird that looks like this one, with the mostly red body, greyish wings, & maybe some greyish on or near its head. It flies & flutters quickly by, and I've been unable to take a picture or get a long look.

I live in ENE PA and have been googling.

It doesn't have the crown of a cardinal, but does have the body shape of a finch - only larger.

It's kind of like this...

image.png

Scarlett Tanager

Or this...

image.png

Two-barred Crossbill

Or maybe this, only it has more red

image.png

Finch with red feathers

Or this, but I think I read that this one lives in a colder habitat...

image.png

Pine Grosbeak

I'm keeping my kitchen curtains closed for a couple days because I don't want to scare it away and I don't want it to crash into the window.

I suppose it will remain a mystery. 

Honored Contributor

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Honored Contributor

I'm so happy to read that the fawn survived @geezerette 

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Honored Contributor

@just bee  Woman Very Happy

Honored Contributor

Oh no @geezerette  I'm sorry to read that sad news and sorry that you had to see it.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Do you think it's any of these?  @Desert Lily 

https://www.birdadvisors.com/red-birds-pennsylvania/

This can be a tricky time of year trying to identify birds because if it's a young bird and hasn't come into it's full color it's hard to know what you're looking at.

Honored Contributor

I received a text from the fence company owner yesterday saying he was going to lay out the design of a fence for another customer and then he would be meeting Sean (the new project manager) at my house.  He said he just wanted me to know.

Okay, this is the first time he proactively reached out during the entire ordeal.

He came by at nearly 6 pm, Sean followed a few minutes later and they reset the gate post and built the gate.  I kept looking at the gate post saying are you sure it's not leaning Woman Very Happy.  Owner said he was afraid to hang the gate on the opposite post because any weight on the freshly set post nearest the house could cause the post to cure crooked.  We moved the gate into my garage and the concrete continues to cure.

We're getting near the finish line.  Today is day 37 of what was supposed to be a 3 to 5 day process.  I'm not excited about it being finished; I'm eager for it to be over.  I think I will probably be able to appreciate the fence in the fall or winter.  Right now the bad experience is all I think about when I look at the fence.

Honored Contributor

super busy day for me, had to dig out the shed to get some junk out for DD and her family,what a chore, took nearly 3 hours. that shed is packed to rafters with garbage but it is stuff we need.

ok guys later.

Respected Contributor

@Bird mama 

I'll be so glad to hear when you shout out to us that the FENCE is finally finished. 37 days? wow.

I'm sorry to read your post regarding Chipper. Like Ecclesiastics says, A time to live and a time to die. Even little critters don't always last too long. At least he was there for you during the Covid nightmare.

It's been so hot here and still no rain. We got 1/10th of an inch last Friday and I think that evaporated before it hit the ground. We are on the verge of a drought at this point. I have to water my flower baskets everyday, sometimes twice. We wish for summer and then it's hotter then Hades. 

I went to the pool at the Y today. It was a struggle. I am having issues with my right arm and the muscles in it. I hope it straightens out pretty soon. I am still hoping this came on from being on Crestor. My doctor said it can take up to 2 months to work it self out. My right arm hurts too, but not like the left one. 

My Aunt called me today from CA. and wanted to know what happened to her 1/2 sister? This would be my mother's 1/2 sister and I told her I haven't seen or heard hide nor hair of her since my mother passed away and that's almost 5 years ago. She told me she read on facebook she had died. Nice, nobody said anything and I can't find anywhere where her obit. would be listed here locally. Strange is all I can say. Not many relatives left that would nofify me.

I should go to bed as I need to get up early for women's Bible study tomorrow, but it is one of those nights that I can't settle down. My son and I are going out for dinner tomorrow, which will be good to see him. I still don't have much of an appetite.

My Aunt said she would like me to come out to CA to see her and she would like to take me to DisneyLand. lol. that was always my lifetime dream as a kid. Now I am 70 and can't hardly walk without either a cane or a walker.That would be a sight.